Mike O'Shea (adventurer)
Mike O'Shea : Irish Adventurer skiing at Cape Discovery
2 December 1969
|Occupation||Adventurer, heights safety and rescue consultant|
|Home town||Dingle, Co. Kerry, Ireland|
Mike O'Shea FRGS (born 2 December 1969) is an Irish adventurer and safety consultant.
O'Shea's climbing career began at the age of 13 when he started climbing in the MacGillycuddy's Reeks near his home-place in County Kerry, Ireland. His adventurous spirit led him to be one of the first people in Ireland to gain the Gold Gaisce – The President's Award. From here he went on to climb extensively in the European Alps and internationally. He then went on to volunteer in Kerry Mountain Rescue for 10 years.
Having flown traditional paragliders for many years he took up Powered paragliding in 2009 and in the same year was one of the first people to fly cross the Irish Sea with one. He also became the first person to fly the length of Ireland from Mizen Head to Malin Head in June 2014
O'Shea and O'Leary made an unsuccessful attempt to be the first Irish Team to walk to the North Pole in early 2012 . Logistics difficulties have been stated as the reason for the team aborting their attempt.
In November 2013, the pair completed a 19-day crossing of the Northern Patagonian Ice Field, becoming the first Irish team to do so. In March 2013, O'Shea and O'Leary walked the length of frozen Lake Baikal in Siberia – a 640 km trek, spending over 26 days on the ice.
Also in 2013, O'Shea crossed the Southern Kilimanjaro Icecap while guiding a number of groups up the mountain for Irish organisation Kilimanjaro Achievers following the death of Irish mountaineer Ian McKeever
In 2014, the team of O'Shea and O'Leary attempted to walk to the North Pole on an expedition dubbed the LifeProof Ice Project: this time the attempt was thwarted by injury to both adventurers.
O Shea is credited as Mountain Safety Team Leader for Star Wars: The Force Awakens ,Safety Supervisor and Expedition Leader for Star_Wars:_The_Last_Jedi and Work At Height Supervisor for Mission: Impossible – Fallout
- "Home". GAISCE. Archived from the original on 6 April 2015. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Ama Dablam" (PDF). American Alpine Journal. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Against the Odds : The 1993 K2 West Ridge Expedition" (PDF). Alpine Journal. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "First ever crossing of the Irish Sea by Paramotor : Ireland to Scotland and back". Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Hickey, Donal. "Flying from Mizen to Malin by paramotor makes history". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Irish North Pole duo forced to turn back after facing €120k bill". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Cork Explorer Makes History in Chile". The Cork News. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Siggins, Lorna. "Irish adventurers trek 640km along Siberian frozen lake". The Irish Times. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Plaque tribute to tragic Ian McKeever". Irish Daily Star. Archived from the original on 10 April 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "The LifeProof Ice Project". Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Injuries force Irish pair to abandon North Pole ice attempt". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Mike O Shea IMDB". IMDb. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Mike O Shea IMDB". IMDb. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Mike O Shea IMDB". IMDb. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- FM, Today. "Mike O'Shea Talks About His Latest Adventure". Today FM. Retrieved 28 April 2015.