This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||Haneef Adeni|
|Produced by||Anto Joseph|
|Written by||Haneef Adeni|
Reba Monica John
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
|Edited by||Mahesh Narayanan|
Anto Joseph Film Company
|Distributed by||Anto Joseph Film Company|
|18 January 2019|
Mikhael is a 2019 Indian Malayalam-language action thriller film written and directed by Haneef Adeni. It stars Nivin Pauly in the title role. Music is composed by Gopi Sundar. The film released on 18 January 2019.
A school kid commits suicide after a humiliating incident at school. All hell breaks loose as his brute businessman dad gets obsessed with finishing off all responsible for the same. Gangster-businessman George's (Siddique) son Gerard challenges one of his schoolmates, a girl, for a karate spar. Things don't go as planned and the issue spirals beyond their control and the walls of the schools, children's egos and parents' worries. Mikhael (Nivin Pauly) was a good gangster who protects his sister from evil. From whom all he protects his sister from forms the crux of the story.
- Nivin Pauly as Dr. Michael John
- Unni Mukundan as Marco Jr.
- Manjima Mohan as Dr. Mary
- Reba Monica John as Anna
- Babu Antony as John (Father of Michael)
- Siddique as George Peter
- Suraj Venjaramood as Issac
- Kalabhavan Shajon as Patrick
- J. D. Chakravarthy as Muhammad Easa
- Jayaprakash as William
- Sijoy Varghese as Abraham (William's Elder Son)
- Sudev Nair as Francis Davi (William's Son)
- Ashokan as Antony
- Baiju as Dr.Cherian
- Kishore as N.Sreenivasan
- Shanthikrishna as Ancy
- K. P. A. C. Lalitha as Mariam
- V. K. Prakash as Phsychiatrist
- Amal Shah as Jerald
- Vishnu Premkumar as SI Philip Kora
- Navani Devanand as Jenni Aka Jennifer
- Sakhil Sajeevan as Karate student
- Balaji as Karate Teacher
Mikhael is the second directorial venture of Haneef Adeni, produced by Anto Joseph under the banner Anto Joseph Film Company. The film was announced on 12 July 2018. The pooja function was held in Kochi on 4 September, with principal photography beginning the same day.
The film features songs composed by Gopi Sundar.
Mikhael was released on 18 January 2019.
The film received negative reviews upon release. Navamy Sudheesh of The Hindu wrote that "while the film is engaging at some levels, it lacks that raw energy and intensity of a thorough thriller." Manoj Kumar of The Indian Express was heavily critical, rating the film 0.5 in a scale of 5, and calling it a "migraine-inducing incoherent mess, which kills our desire to be entertained." Sowmya Rajendran from The News Minute criticised the direction, script, editing and acting, and wrote that "even if you watch the film knowing what to expect of Haneef Adeni, 'Mikhael' is disappointing." She rated the film 2 in a scale of 5. Anna MM Vetticad of Firstpost.com rated the film 0.75 in a scale of 5 and wrote that "Nivin Pauly struggles through a pretentious, pompous affair." Litty Simon of Malayala Manorama said, "The slow-paced thriller won't really blow your mind but it comes with enough masala for a Nivin Pauly movie." Calling the film "loud" and "confused", Neelima Menon from Huffington Post wrote that Nivin Pauly "is a "thorough misfit" in the film. She was also heavily critical about the film's music.
It was reported that the makers of the film tried to control negative reviews on social media by misusing the Facebook copyright policies and allegedly were able to block two Facebook groups which discuss films in an attempt to save the film from getting negative word of mouth.
- "Nivin Pauly announces his next film Mikhael". The Times of India.
- "Nivin Pauly film 'Mikhael' puja held at Kakkanad". The Times of India.
- quintdaily (18 January 2019). "Mikhael Review Malayalam Movie – QuintDaily".
- "‘Mikhael’ review: An average action fare".
- "Mikhael movie review: This Nivin Pauly film will give you a migraine".
- "'Mikhael' review: Nivin Pauly's action thriller falls flat"
- "Mikhael movie review: Nivin Pauly struggles through a pretentious, pompous affair"
- "Mikhael movie review: the 'revengeful' angel".
- "'Mikhael' Movie Review: Nivin Pauly Is A Misfit In This Loud, Confused Film".
- "Critical posts on Nivin's 'Mikhael' removed from Facebook, film buffs slam intolerance".