Milford Haven School
|Milford Haven School|
|Type||Secondary school (UK)|
|Chair of Governors||Pat James|
|Head teacher||Ceri-Ann Morris (April 2018 – present)|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Colour(s)||Reflex Blue & Yellow|
History and Catchment
The site of the school was the former Milford Haven Grammar School, opened in 1964. In 1988, a remodelled Comprehensive school was opened, incorporating pupils of the former Central Secondary Modern School. The site had initially been the subject of some criticism of its suitability, due to both its inconvenient distance from the town centre, and also the potential danger of locating the school beside a main road. Its catchment area includes the town of Milford Haven and the area extending westwards to Dale. Just over 18% of pupils are eligible for free school meals compared with the Welsh average of about 15% for secondary schools. Very few pupils come from Welsh-speaking homes. Just under 2% of pupils have statements of special educational needs.
Accommodation and Facilities
The school is located in the northern outskirts of Milford Haven, bordering Steynton. It is surrounded by agricultural land to the north, and private housing estates to the east and west. In addition to the original buildings which comprised the grammar school, four newer blocks are integrated into this structure. Sports facilities include a multi-purpose sports hall and a gymnasium, tennis courts and an all-weather pitch with flood-lighting.
There are 61 teaching staff, including the Headteacher, two Deputy Heads and two Assistant Heads. Headteacher Mr Islwyn Morgan retired in December 2012, and in January 2013 was replaced by Mr Rod Francis. Rod Francis left the position in September 2017 and was replaced by Acting Headteacher, Beverley Davies. Ceri-Ann Morris took up the position permanently in April 2018.
- Sarah Waters, an award-winning novelist.
- John Cooper, a serial killer from Milford Haven attended the Grammar School.
- Andrew Salter (born 1993), cricketer
- George Winter, actor who appeared in the films Scum, and All Quiet on the Western Front.
- Rosalyn Wild, finalist in Britain's Kindest Kid.
- Sarah Howells, a British singer-songwriter and trance vocalist.
The school became the subject of controversy in October 2013 when a pupil was punished for shaving his head to raise money for charity. This led to a protest on Friday 4 October 2013 attended by 353 pupils, which resulted in the pupil being permitted to return. A joint statement was released by Miss O'Neill (parent of the pupil) and Milford Haven School following the incident.
In January 2019 the school became the focus of media attention due to two alleged incidents of bullying. Police were called to the school site on January 11th responding to an incident in which a male pupil was filmed appearing to be assaulted by a large group of children. The video was shared widely on social media. Later in January, a fourteen year old vegan pupil at the school claimed that he was assaulted, and force fed bacon. The boy was left with post-concussion syndrome. The school's spokesman said: 'the matter has been dealt with in accordance with the Governing Body’s approved policies and procedures', but according to the pupil's mother, they still feel let down by the school.
- Milford Haven School
- The Development of Secondary Education in Milford Haven 1902 - 1964 Johnson, Barry, 1974
- www.milfordhavenschool.co.uk Archived 5 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine School Website, Retrieved 4 October 2013
- Wing Commander Ken McKay A Vision Of Greatness: The History of Milford 1790-1990, Brace Harvatt Associates, 1989. ISBN 978-0-9515212-0-5
- The Development of Secondary Education in Milford Haven 1902 - 1964, Johnson, Barry; Presented in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of M.Ed.UCW, 1974
- Outcome of monitoring visit Milford Haven School 2012 Eystyn Inspection Information, Retrieved 28 December 2014
- BBC Southwest Wales Retrieved 16 March 2012
- John Cooper Goes Into The Witness Box To Deny Four Murders Western Telegraph Article, 13 March 2011
- "Player profile: Andrew Salter". CricketArchive. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- greatbritishlife.co.uk: George Winter[permanent dead link] Retrieved 30 January 2010
- Rosalyn in the running for 'kindest kid' award Milford Mercury Article, 5 November 2011
- Meet The Band Special: "Paper Aeroplanes' Sarah Howells Discusses Little Letters", Milford Mercury, 10 May 2013
- Teen Punished by School Over Charity Head Shave Western Telegraph Article, 4 October 2013
- Students Sing 'We Shall Not Be Moved' Outside Milford Haven School, Western Telegraph Article, 4 October 2013
- Milford Haven School Head Shave Teen To Be Allowed Back Into Classes on Monday, Mum Says Western Telegraph Article, 4 October 2013
- Joint Statement By Miss O'Neill and Milford Haven School Archived 10 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine Milford Haven School Website, accessed 18 November 2013
- Police called to an incident at Milford Haven School Western Telegraph article, 12 January 2019
- Police investigating Milford Haven School fight as assault Western Telegraph article, 14 January 2019
- Vegan schoolboy 'headbutted and punched by bully who tried to force feed him bacon' Mirror article, 25 January 2019 at Mirror.co.uk, accessed 30 January 2019