NICTD train about to depart from Miller station
|Location||U.S. Highway 12 and Lake Street|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections||Gary Public Transportation Corporation|
|Electrified||Yes (1500 V DC)|
|2015||463 (average weekday)|
Miller is a train station in Gary, Indiana, serving the South Shore Line commuter rail system. It serves the community of Miller Beach and is one of three South Shore Line stations within the municipal boundaries of Gary.
The Miller community, now more commonly known as Miller Beach, is physically separated from the city of Gary and from other municipalities in Northwest Indiana by parcels of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. The national park's Douglas Center for Environmental Education and its Miller Woods hiking trails are a mere 0.7 miles (1.1 km) north of the Miller NICTD train station.
On October 30, 2007, the executive director of the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission announced that the current plan calls for the Miller station to be closed at an undisclosed date. This plan was met with fierce opposition from Miller residents as well as commuters from other neighboring communities who use the station. Miller station commuters objected to being forced to use the new Gary central station. On August 12, 2008, Gateway Partners, the developers behind the new project, announced their intention to revamp their proposal in response to controversy.
Currently the station is slated to be substantially renovated as part of a larger project to double track the South Shore Line between Gary and Michigan City. The renovation will add an additional track to the station and replace the current low-level platform with two high-level platforms (one to the south of each track), making the station accessible to passengers with disabilities. The renovation will also add a new station building, improve the existing parking lot, and add a new parking lot to the west of the station. The renovation also will add a stub track to the east of the station, allowing short-turn trains between Chicago and Miller, replacing the current terminus of Gary Metro Center. This renovation is projected to be completed in mid-2024.
- Route 13: Oak and County Line
- "2018 State of the System" (PDF). Metra. August 2018. p. 185.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2010-02-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Miller Station Campus Design". Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "Project Schedule". Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- Media related to Miller train station at Wikimedia Commons
- South Shore Line - Stations
- South Shore Railfan.net
- Gateway Partners' Official Website
- Station from Lake Street from Google Maps Street View
|This Indiana train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|