|Born||April 20, 1932|
|Died||October 3, 2017 (aged 85)|
McLean, Virginia, U.S.
|Service/||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1958—1992|
|Awards||Legion of Merit (Combat V)|
Bronze Star (Combat V)
|Spouse(s)||Charlotte Yu-Jen Chung|
|Other work||Raytheon (Vice President)|
Ming Erh Chang (simplified Chinese: 钱勇杰; traditional Chinese: 錢勇傑; pinyin: Qián Yǒngjié; April 20, 1932 – October 3, 2017) served in the U.S. Navy for 34 years, becoming the first naturalized Asian American naval officer to reach flag rank in the United States military. He became the Department of the Navy Inspector General in 1987 after holding cruiser and destroyer commands. When Chang left the navy, he became vice president and corporate director for the Pacific region at Raytheon International and then president of MEC International, LLC.
In 1980, Ming Chang became the first naturalized Asian American naval officer to reach flag rank. A graduate of William and Mary and the Naval Postgraduate School. He served as the Commanding Officer of the USS RATHBURNE REEVES, USS; Chief of Staff, Carrier Group THREE; Chief of Staff, Commander THIRD Fleet; and Commander Cruiser Destroyer Group TWO. As a Rear Admiral, he served as Deputy Commander, Weapons and Combat Systems, Naval Sea Systems Command.
Awards and recognition
Norman Mineta recounted: "And this isn't a question of being politically correct. it's a question of decency. I mean, why is it that we are considered foreign? It just blows my mind. I remember when Admiral Ming Chang got a call from a reporter one day, and he was recounting that the reporter asked him if he was a U.S. citizen. He says, Yes he was. 'Were you born here?' 'No, I came to the United States in 1950 [sic] (actually 1946) as a young boy from Shanghai.' 'And so, what did you do to get your citizenship?' 'And he says, 'I was naturalized.' 'What proof do you have of your citizenship?' 'He says, 'Well, young man, I served for 33 years in the United States Navy and came out a Rear Admiral, and I am now a very high ranking officer of the Raytheon International Corporation.'"
- "Rear Admiral Ming Erh Chang". Naval History and Heritage Command. 2016-04-26. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- 钱勇杰 (in Chinese). 中国侨乡网. Archived from the original on 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- 袁坚. 三位上海出生的美国华裔将军 (in Chinese). 上海市地方志办公室. Archived from the original on 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Memorial Advisory Board". National World War II Memorial. Archived from the original on 2014-10-26. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- 来源：中新网 (2005-06-27). 骆家辉等三位杰出华裔人士加入美国"百人会" (in Chinese). 新华网. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "An Interview With Norman Mineta". Frontline. April 1997. PBS.