|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||12.8 cm by 9.1 cm|
Minuscule 449 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 330 (in the Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 13th century.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numerals are given at the margin, and the τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the smaller Ammonian Sections (in Mark 233 Sections - the last in 16:8), with references to the Eusebian Canons.
It contains prolegomena, lists of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each Gospel, lectionary markings at the margin (for liturgical use), Synaxarion, Menologion, subscriptions at the end of each Gospel, and pictures. It was clearly carefully written.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Claremont Profile Method it belongs to the textual cluster 291 and creates textual pair with minuscule 2603 in Luke 1, Luke 10, and Luke 20.
The manuscripts was written by Gerasimus, a monk. It once belonged together with the codex 44 to Caesar de Missy (1703–1775), French chaplain. It came to London in 1748. It was the last manuscript added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Scholz (1794–1852).
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 64.
- Aland, K.; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 74. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 191.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894 (2005 reprint)). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. pp. 239–240. Check date values in:
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 61. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose (2005) . A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1. London. p. 225.
- Add MS 4950 at the British Library