Missing You (Brandy, Gladys Knight, Tamia, and Chaka Khan song)
|Single by Brandy, Tamia, Gladys Knight and Chaka Khan|
|from the album Set It Off (soundtrack)|
|Released||August 6, 1996|
|Genre||R&B, pop, soul, gospel|
|Writer(s)||Gordon Chambers, Barry Eastmond|
"Missing You" is a song recorded by American singers Brandy, Gladys Knight, Tamia and Chaka Khan in 1996. The song was used to promote the 1996 motion picture Set It Off. It was written and produced by Gordon Chambers and Barry Eastmond and released as the lead single from the soundtrack album of the movie on August 6, 1996 through Elektra Records.
The collaboration peaked at number two in New Zealand and reached number 25 on the US Billboard Hot 100 as well as number ten on the Hot R&B Singles chart. It marked Tamia's highest-charting single then and become one of the biggest hit singles of the 1990s for both Knight and Khan. At the 39th Annual Grammy Awards, "Missing You" was nominated for a Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals.
"Missing You" was written by musicians Barry Eastmond and Gordon Chambers. Eastmond was handpicked by Elektra Records CEO Sylvia Rhone to produce a song for the Set It Off motion picture. He wrote much of the song after watching a rough cut of the film in Los Angeles, California.
A music video for "Missing You" was filmed by F. Gary Gray, director of Set It Off. The video portrays Brandy, Tamia, Chaka Khan and Gladys Knight performing in different landscapes each. Brandy is in the middle of a grassy field under a tree; Tamia is in the middle of a wheat field; Knight is on a covered bridge overlooking a stream; and Khan is on top of a cliff overlooking an ocean shore. It also features scenes from the 1996 film.
Charts and certifications
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||2|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||30|
|US Billboard Hot 100||25|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||10|
Certifications and sales
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||0*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Smtih, Shawnee (1998-05-02). "Luck Was A 'Lady' For Eastmond". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Porter, Nina (2000-01-25). "The Brandy Star Profile". Master Dance Tones.
- "Charts.org.nz – Brandy, Tamia, Gladys Knight & Chaka Khan – Missing You". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Brandy – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Brandy. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Brandy – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Brandy. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Brandy – Chart history" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Brandy. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Brandy/Tamia/Gladys Knight/Chaka Khan – Missing You". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Best-Selling Records of 1996". Billboard. BPI Communications Inc. 109 (3): 61. January 18, 1997. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 8, 2015.