|Developer(s)||RJ Ryan, Owen Williams, Sean Pappalardo, Daniel Schürmann, S. Brandt, Ilkka Tuohela, Max Linke, Marcos Cardinot, Nicu Badescu|
2.1 / April 16, 2018
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, Ubuntu|
|Available in||17 languages|
Mixxx is free and open-source software for DJing. It is cross-platform and supports most common music file formats. Mixxx can be controlled with MIDI and HID controllers and timecode vinyl records in addition to computer keyboards and mice.
Mixxx is a DJ Automation and digital DJ performance application and includes many features common to digital DJ solutions as well as some unique ones: It natively supports advanced MIDI and HID DJ controllers, is licensed under the GPL (v2.0 or later) and runs on all major desktop operating systems. The project was started in early 2001 for a doctoral thesis as one of the first digital DJing systems. Over 1,000,000 downloads of the app occur annually and as of Mixxx 1.10.0, 100 developers and artists have helped create Mixxx. Recent versions support harmonic mixing and beatmatching, both manually and automatically.
Mixxx can read most popular audio formats, including MP3, Vorbis, Opus, AIFF and FLAC. v1.8 introduces a plug-in system to be able to read other formats, including patent-encumbered ones whose decoders cannot legally be distributed in binary form with Mixxx, such as Advanced Audio Coding (AAC). Any such plug-ins are automatically loaded at run-time if present.
Any sound card that is supported by the operating system is usable in Mixxx. Mixxx supports various software APIs for using sound cards on different operating systems, namely ASIO, WASAPI, and DirectSound on Windows; OSS, ALSA, and JACK on Linux; and CoreAudio on Mac OS X, all via PortAudio.
Mixxx is one of the first[weasel words] free and open-source applications available in the Mac App Store. In less than 48 hours since it went live in February 2011 Mixxx has become the #1 Top Free App in the USA, Germany, and Italy.
- mixxx.org 16 April 2018
- James, Daniel. "Drafting Digital Media". Apress, 2009, p. 213.
- Digital Dj Tips: "Get Your Mixxx for Free!" 14 October 2010, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- Skratchworx: "Mixxx with 3 Xs - one for each supported OS" 7 Aug 2009, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- Source code of a simple implementation
- Mixxx Wiki, hardware compatibility page. Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011.
- Create Digital Music: "Turntablism in the Digital Age: DJ Jungleboy with Stanton SCS.3d; Open Scratch Scripting" Section: "Open Source SCS.3d Scripting?" Jun 9 2009, retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- Mixxx blog: App store availability announcement 18 February 2011, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- MusicRadar.com: "Free Mixxx DJing app hits number one in the Mac App Store" 22 February 2011, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mixxx.|