Moi International Sports Centre
|Full name||Moi International Sports Centre|
|Owner||Sports Stadia Management Board|
|Operator||Sports Stadia Management Board|
|Capacity||Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani: 60,000 (Kasarani Stadium)
5,000 (Kasarani Indoor Arena)
5,000 (Competition pool)
|Construction cost||Ksh. 900 million (renovations)|
|Structural engineer||Sheng-Li Engineering Construction Company Ltd. (renovations)|
|Services engineer||Sheng-Li Engineering Construction Company Ltd. (renovations)|
|Kenya national football team
The Moi International Sports Centre (abbreviated as M.I.S.C.) is a multi-purpose stadium in Kasarani, Kenya. It was built in 1987 for the All-Africa Games held in Nairobi. The facilities include a 60,000 seat arena with a running track and a pitch used for football and rugby union, a competition size swimming pool, an indoor arena and a 108 bed capacity hotel.
The stadium was closed in January 2010 for renovation works worth Kes 900 million and funded by a grant to the Government of Kenya by the Government of China. Chinese firm, Sheng Li Engineering Construction Company Limited was contracted to conduct the renovations and the stadium was reopened in March 2012 after completion of the renovations.
In April 2014, after terror attacks in Nairobi and Mombasa, the main stadium was used as a screening center as part of 'Operation Usalama Watch'. Suspected illegal Somali immigrants were detained in poor conditions with lack of access to food and legal assistance
Since 2013 the Safari Sevens rugby union tournament has been hosted at the Kasarani Stadium.
For sponsorship reasons, since December 2013 the stadium has also been known as Safaricom Stadium Kasarani.
Kasarani Indoor Arena
The indoor arena seats 5,000 and hosts volleyball, gymnastics, basketball, badminton, boxing, wrestling, martial arts and table tennis.
For sponsorship reasons, the arena is also known as Safaricom Indoor Arena.
Kasarani Aquatic Complex
The Stadion Hotel
This is a public hotel located within the centre. It includes:
- Accommodation with 108 rooms equipped with TVs and telephones
- 200-seater restaurant and 60-seater adjacent grillroom
- A sports bar
- A 400-seater multi-purpose ballroom
- A business center with a cybercafé
- Seminar rooms with secretariat
- A gift shop
- A luxurious private swimming pool
- A poolside bar
- User, Super. "Moi International Sports Complex (MISC), Kasarani". www.sportskenya.org. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- "IPOA report on Usalama Watch". rckkenya.org. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- "Kenya: Somalis scapegoated in counter-terror crackdown". www.amnesty.org. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Akaki, Lulu. "Safaricom Stadium Kasarani unveiled". hapakenya.com. HapaKenya. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Sports Stadia Management Board - a body governing several stadiums in Kenya
- Photo at worldstadiums.com
- Photo at fussballtempel.net
- Nation.co.ke - Sh1bn facelift for Kasarani
- Stadium images
Stade du 5 Juillet 1962
|Rollball World Cup venue
Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex
Stade du 5 Juillet 1962
|All-Africa Games Main stadium
Cairo International Stadium