Monster of Udine
Monster of Udine
|Other names||Il Mostro di Udine|
|Victims||4 to 16|
|State(s)||Province of Udine|
The official number of murders attributed to the Mostro di Udine is 4, although there may have been more (up to 16). The victims were found with a gaping incision in their abdomen cut and cleaned with extreme care, most likely with a scalpel or something similar. The incision of the cut was very close to that of a Cesarean, which convinced police that the killer was a doctor. However, the police have never had any real leads in the case.
The following four women are confirmed victims of the Monster of Udine:
- Maria Carla Bellone, 19, sex worker, killed on 19 February 1980;
- Luana Giamporcaro, 22, sex worker, killed on 24 January 1983;
- Aurelia Januschewitz, 42, sex worker, killed on 3 March 1985;
- Marina Lepre, 40, primary-school teacher, killed on 26 February 1989.
Investigators believe the following women may be victims of the Monster of Udine, but have been unable to confirm with absolute certainty:
- Irene Belletti, stabbed multiple times in various places on 21 September 1971;
- Elsa Moruzzi, strangled in November 1972;
- Eugenia Tilling, stabbed in the throat in December 1975;
- Maria Luisa Bernardo, stabbed in various places on 21 September 1976; investigators believe they may be a connection between this murder and the murder of Irene Belletti;
- Jaqueline Brechbullher stabbed in multiple places;
- Wilma Ghin, body found burned at a landfill in March 1980; a young man from Apulia, in the far south of Italy nearly 1,000 km from Udine, was investigated for the crime but later cleared as a suspect;
- Maria Bucovaz, strangled in May 1984;
- Matilde Zanette, killed in September 1984;
- Stojanka Joksimovic, strangled in December 1984;
- Nicla Perabò, strangled in September 1991.
- Elena Commesatti: Femmine one day, BéBert editions
- "In un ventennio 14 omicidi e 3 arresti". Messaggero Veneto EDIZIONE UDINE (in Italian). 27 January 2012. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "Mostro di Udine, 13 donne uccise A Chi l'ha visto? nuovi indizi - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggero Veneto (in Italian). 2011-12-11. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "In un ventennio 14 omicidi e 3 arresti - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggero Veneto (in Italian). 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2018-09-17.