|Montanoa tomentosa var. xanthiifolia|
Montanoa tomentosa is a species of flowering plant in the daisy family which is native to Mexico and much of Central America. Its local common name is zoapatle. This small yellow-flowered shrub is best known for its use in traditional herbal medicine.
In Mexico, there is a history of the use of M. tomentosa as a traditional remedy for sexual dysfunction. An extract of the leaves was also used to start uterine contractions to induce menstruation, abortion, and labor, and to slow postpartum bleeding. The related species Montanoa frutescens has similar effects in rats, but is much more likely to have contraceptive effects by causing structural changes in the endometrium.
At traditionally medicinally used amounts (75 mg/kg), M. tomentosa increased expression of sexual and mounting behavior in sexually active male rats and also in genitally anesthetized rats which were previously sexually inactive (noncopulators).
- Landgren, B. M.; Aedo, AR; Hagenfeldt, K; Diczfalusy, E (1979). "Clinical effects of orally administered extracts of Montanoa tomentosa in early human pregnancy". American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 135 (4): 480–4. doi:10.1016/0002-9378(79)90435-6. PMID 114055.
- Robles-Zepeda, R. E.; Molina-Torres, Jorge; Lozoya-Gloria, Edmundo; López, Mercedes G. (2005). "Volatile organic compounds of leaves and flowers of Montanoa tomentosa". Flavour and Fragrance Journal. 21 (2): 225–27. doi:10.1002/ffj.1560.
- Pedrón, N.; Estrada, AV; Ponce-Monter, H; Valencia, A; Guzmán, A; Gallegos, AJ (1985). "The zoapatle. VII. Antiimplantation effect in the rat of zoapatle aqueous crude extract (ZACE) from Montanoa tomentosa and Montanoa frutescens". Contraception. 31 (5): 499–507. doi:10.1016/0010-7824(85)90085-X. PMID 4028725.
- Carro-Juárez M, Cervantes E, Cervantes-Méndez M, Rodríguez-Manzo G (May 2004). "Aphrodisiac properties of Montanoa tomentosa aqueous crude extract in male rats". Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 78 (1): 129–34. doi:10.1016/j.pbb.2004.03.001. PMID 15159142. S2CID 21371622.
- "Montanoa tomentosa". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
|This Heliantheae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|