Morgantown Generating Station
|Morgantown Generating Station|
|Thermal power station|
|Secondary fuel||Fuel oil|
|Units operational||2 × 624 MW (base load units )
4 × 65 MW (peaking units)
2 x 18 MW (peaking units)
|Make and model||General Electric|
|Nameplate capacity||1,477 MW|
The Morgantown Generating Station is a 1,477 MW electric generating plant owned by NRG Energy, located in the unincorporated town of Newburg, Maryland, near Morgantown, on the Potomac River. The station was built in 1970.
The facility consists of two base loaded 624 MW coal-fired steam generating units, four 65 MW oil-fired peaking combustion units, and two 18 MW black start peaking turbines. The two coal-fired units are base-loaded supercritical steam units which went into operation in 1970 and 1971. The four peaking units are General Electric Frame 7 units which went into operation in 1973, while the two black start peaking units are General Electric Frame 5 units which went into operation in 1970 and 1971.
Coal is delivered to the Morgantown generating station by CSX Transportation train using the Pope's Creek Subdivision rail line. Construction of a coal barge unloading pier on the Potomac River began in 2007.
All of the generating plants at the Morgantown Generating Station were built by the Potomac Electric Power Company, which sold them to the Southern Company in December 2000 as a result of the restructuring of the electricity generating industry in Maryland. The station was included in the Mirant spin-off in April 2001. Mirant was merged into GenOn Energy in 2010, and GenOn merged into NRG in 2012.
- GenOn Energy, Houston, TX. "Morgantown Generating Station." Accessed 2011-11-06.
- "Existing Electric Generating Units in the United States, 2006" (Excel). Energy Information Administration, U.S. Department of Energy. 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Environmental Review of the Air Pollution Control Project at the Morgantown Generating Station by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (Apr. 6, 2007), Maryland Public Service Commission Case No. 9085 docket
- de la Merced, Michael J. (2010-04-12). "Merger of Energy Producers To Form $3 Billion Company". New York Times.
- de la Merced, Michael J. (2012-07-23). "NRG Energy to Buy GenOn in Move to Bolster Stocks and Cut Costs". New York Times.