Old Dominion Electric Cooperative
|Headquarters||Glen Allen, Virginia, United States|
|Virginia, Maryland, & Delaware|
|Jack Reasor, President & CEO|
Number of employees
Old Dominion Electric Cooperative (ODEC) is an electric generation and transmission cooperative headquartered in Glen Allen, Virginia. ODEC provides wholesale power to its 11 member electric cooperatives in Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware. Through these member cooperatives, ODEC provided over 11 million megawatt hours of power to 1.4 million people in 2008. ODEC's member cooperatives primarily distribute power to rural, suburban, and recreation areas.
ODEC's generating facilities make use of coal, fuel oil, natural gas and nuclear energy. ODEC owns 11.6% of the North Anna Nuclear Generating Station in Louisa County. ODEC President Jack Reasor in 2007 stated that ODEC does not support a cap on carbon emissions as proposed by the United States Carbon Cap-and-Trade Program. In 2009, ODEC proposed building a coal plant in Dendron, Virginia. In 2010, ODEC agreed to purchase the output of the Criterion Wind Project under a 20 year contract.
Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative was a member of the cooperative until 31 December 2008, when it terminated its contract.
TEC Trading is a Class B member of Old Dominion and is owned by ODEC's member cooperatives. TEC purchases excess power from Old Dominion and sells it on the market.
- A&N Electric Cooperative
- BARC Electric Cooperative
- Choptank Electric Cooperative
- Community Electric Cooperative
- Delaware Electric Cooperative
- Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative
- Northern Neck Electric Cooperative
- Prince George Electric Cooperative
- Rappahannock Electric Cooperative
- Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative
- Southside Electric Cooperative
- Hebert, H. Josef. Utility Chiefs Wary of Emission Limits. The Washington Post. 20 March 2007.
- Shapiro, Carolyn. Plant would keep juice flowing to growing rural areas. The Virginia-Pilot. 25 January 2009.
- "Constellation Energy Completes Acquisition of Criterion Wind Project in Western Maryland" (Press release). Constellation Energy. Apr 7, 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Howard, J. Lee (24 August 1998). "Feds to auction piece of B.V. Belk's empire".
Further Reading and Recent News
"Surry Board of Supervisor approves controversial coal plant" Daily Press, Feb. 5, 2010 
"Surry power plant now faces last local hurdle" Daily Press, Feb. 2, 2010 
"Facing objections, company eyes second power plant site" The Virginian-Pilot, Jan. 31, 2010 
"Consider power plant from regional perspective" Tidewater News, Jan. 30, 2010 
"IOW wants more information on proposed coal plant" Tidewater News, Jan. 23, 2010 
"Surry Coal Plant Pros and Cons" Richmond Times Dispatch, May 17, 2009 
"Proposed coal plant clears another hurdle" Daily Press, Dec. 16, 2009 
"Virginia's Energy Future-Energy on land" HearSay with Cathy Lewis, WHRV FM, Feb. 26, 2010