Morning Star (comics)
- This article is about the occultist Morning Star. For the Russian superhero from Marvel Comics, see Morningstar (comics).
|First appearance||Moon Knight, Vol. 1 #29 (Mar 1983)|
|Created by||Doug Moench
|Alter ego||Schuyler Belial|
|Team affiliations||The Followers of the Left Hand Path|
|Abilities||Arm-mounted energy weapon|
Morning Star is the alias of Schuyler Belial, a fictional Marvel Comics villain and Satanist who was an enemy of Moon Knight and the Werewolf by Night. He first appeared in Moon Knight, Volume 1 #29. He was created by Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz.
Fictional character biography
Morning Star was the leader of a group of Satanists known as the Followers of the Left Hand Path (presumably referring to the occult tradition of the Left-Hand Path and Right-Hand Path). He and his cult spent a year tracking Jack Russell, the increasingly feral Werewolf by Night, the blood of whom Belial thought could be used to "reinvigorate" his followers by turning them into werewolves. In Los Angeles, the cult captured the werewolf, who escaped shortly thereafter, but not before the cult had implanted a tracking device in the creature's skull.
The Werewolf by Night fled to New York City, where the superhero Moon Knight attempted to aid him. They were both later captured by Morning Star and his cult, and taken to Morning Star's offices in the penthouse of New York City's Tishman Building, at 666 Fifth Avenue.
Morning Star planned to use Moon Knight as a human sacrifice, and afterwards to have his followers drink the blood of the Werewolf by Night to give them "the power of the Beast". However, Moon Knight escaped his captors and helped the Werewolf by Night escape as well. Morning Star immediately sent his men to recapture the two, but the cultists were defeated. Moon Knight and the Werewolf by Night later infiltrated the cult, returning to Morning Star's offices, where they engaged in battle to defeat the rest of the members. During this melee, the Werewolf by Night threw Morning Star from the roof of the 41-story Tishman Building, killing him.
- First appearance reprinted in Essential Moon Knight Vol. 2, ISBN 0-7851-2729-1.
- "Werewolf by Night". Marvel Comics. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- Moon Knight vol. 1, #29 (March 1983)
- Sanderson, Peter (2007). The Marvel Comics Guide to New York City. New York City: Pocket Books. pp. 40–41. ISBN 1-4165-3141-6.
- Moon Knight vol. 1, #30 (April 1983)
- Kaye, Ethan (2008-02-14). "Knight Fights". Marvel Comics. Retrieved 2008-06-26.