Morning of the Earth
|Morning of the Earth|
|Directed by||Alby Falzon, David Elfick|
|Produced by||David Elfick|
|Music by||G. Wayne Thomas|
|Edited by||Alby Falzon, Albie Thoms|
|25 February 1972|
The film's soundtrack was produced by G. Wayne Thomas and included music and songs by noted Australian music acts Tamam Shud, John J. Francis, Brian Cadd and G. Wayne Thomas. The record became the first Australian Gold soundtrack album. In October 2010, the soundtrack for Morning of the Earth (1971) was listed in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums.
The film portrays surfers living in spiritual harmony with nature, making their own boards (and homes) as they travelled in search of the perfect wave across Australia’s north-east coast, Bali and Hawaii.
Tamam Shud were recording tracks for the surf film Morning of the Earth including their song "First Things First". Their main lead singer, Lindsay Bjerre was having voice problems so they recorded the song using lead guitarist Tim Gaze; music producer G. Wayne Thomas was unhappy with Gaze's vocals and asked Broderick Smith (Carson) to fill in. According to Bjerre, Tamam Shud were not informed and only found out about the switch at the film's premiere; according to Smith, he had Tamam Shud's knowledge and permission.
- Kirra, Queensland
- Lennox Head, New South Wales
- Broken Head, New South Wales
- Angourie, New South Wales
- Whale Beach, New South Wales (Sydney)
(In alphabetical order, incomplete.)
- Chris Brock
- Stephen Cooney
- Terry Fitzgerald
- Barry Kanaiaupuni
- Gerry Lopez
- Rusty Miller
- Michael Peterson
- Baddy Treloar
- Mark Warren[disambiguation needed]
- Nat Young
- "Morning of the Earth" – G. Wayne Thomas
- "I'll Be Allright" – Terry Hannagan
- "First Things First" – Tamam Shud
- "Sure Feels Good" – Brian Cadd
- "Open Up Your Heart" – G. Wayne Thomas
- "Simple Ben" – John J. Francis
- "Bali Waters" – Tamam Shud
- "Making It on Your Own" – Brian Cadd
- "Day Comes" – G. Wayne Thomas
- "Sea the Swells" – Tamam Shud
- "I'm Alive" – Peter Howe
- "Come with Me" – Brian Cadd
- "It's our most ambitious surfing movie". Sydney Morning Herald. 27 February 1972. p. 85.
- O'Donnell, John; Creswell, Toby; Mathieson, Craig (October 2010). 100 Best Australian Albums. Prahran, Vic: Hardie Grant Books. ISBN 978-1-74066-955-9.
- "Carson". Milesago. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Tamam Shud". Milesago. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- Alby Falzon's Morning of the Earth web site
- Morning of the Earth at the Internet Movie Database
- Sean Doherty, MP: The Life of Michael Peterson, Harper Collins, 2004, ISBN 0-7322-7609-8.
- G.Wayne Thomas website