|Born||Norfolk, Virginia |
Jan 13, 1941
|Died||January 22, 2005 |
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
|Other names||Master Musa Muhammad|
|Style||Vee-Jitsu Te, Modern Ju Jitsu, Sanuces Ryu Jujutsu|
|Teacher(s)||Florendo Visitacion and Ron Duncan|
|Rank||10th degree black belt|
|Years active||1954– early 2000s|
|Notable students||Ron van Clief Soke "lil John" Davis, Hassan Abdur-Rahman|
last updated on: October 2013
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Moses Powell (1941–2005), also known as Master Musa Muhammad, was an American pioneer of martial arts in the United States. He was born in Norfolk Virginia. He held the rank of 10th degree black belt, and was famous for his one finger forward roll. Moses Powell was the first martial artist invited to perform a demonstration in front of the United Nations. One of the first African Americans to instruct the DEA, FBI, and the Secret Service in martial arts. He was also a featured demonstrator New York's World Fair in 1965. Notable for being a black martial artist (of minority ethnicity in the United States), he served as an instructor to movie star Wesley Snipes. He appeared in the documentary, the Warrior Within., along with Chuck Norris. He was also the founder of the Sanuces Ryu Jujutsu system. Additionally, he never co-signed any other systems.
Moses was also noted in the book Unlocking The Healing Powers in Your Hands: The 18 Mudra System of Qigong as a master of Jujitsu.
- "Moses Powell - The Official Site". Cmgww.com. 1941-01-13. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "The Karate Voice". The Karate Voice. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Wayne Wayland and HP Henry. "Isshinryu Karate: Donald Bohan's Memorial Website: Ronald Duncan". Bohans-family.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Sampson, Anthony (28 November 2008). "Grandmaster Anthony Sampson: Dr. Moses Powell (Supreme Grandmaster)". Grandmasteranthonysampson.blogspot.com.
- "Master Moses Powell". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Continuing The Legacy of Master Teachers: United Schools of Survival holds 16th Annual Martial Arts Seminar". Finalcall.com. 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Magazines". MA-Mags.com. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- MA, A. S. Umar Sharif. "Unlocking The Healing Powers in Your Hands: The 18 Mudra System of Qigong". Books.google.com. A. S. Umar Sharif, MA. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
|This biographical article related to martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|