Mosquito Aviation XE
|XEL variant with floats|
US$34,000 (kit, 2015)
|Developed from||Mosquito Air|
Design and development
The XE is a development of the Mosquito Air, with a cockpit fairing and a more sophisticated exhaust system, plus a rotor diameter increased by 40 cm (15.7 in) to support the higher gross weight. The aircraft was designed to comply with the US Experimental - Amateur-built and European microlight aircraft rules. It features a single main rotor and tail rotor, a single-seat enclosed cockpit with a windshield, skid landing gear and a two-cylinder, air-cooled, two stroke 64 hp (48 kW) MZ 202 engine.
The aircraft fuselage is made from composites and metal tubing. Its two-bladed rotor has a diameter of 5.95 m (19.5 ft) and a chord of 17 cm (6.7 in). The aircraft has a typical empty weight of 135 kg (298 lb) and a gross weight of 280 kg (617 lb), giving a useful load of 145 kg (320 lb). With full fuel of 45 litres (9.9 imp gal; 12 US gal) the payload for the pilot and baggage is 112 kg (247 lb).
- (2002) Open aluminum frame with tripod landing gear
- XE with floats. Meets United States FAA FAR 103 Ultralight Vehicles rules for 254 lb (115 kg) and under for ultralight aircraft.
- 85 hp (63 kW) Inntec 800 2 cylinder 2 cycle
- XE3 - Discontinued
- 85 hp (63 kW) CRE MZ 301 3 cylinder 2 cycle
- 90 hp (67 kW) Solar T62-2A1 turbine
Data from manufacturer
- Crew: 1
- Length: 4.9 m (16 ft)
- Empty weight: 135 kg (298 lb)
- Gross weight: 277 kg (610 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 12 U.S. gallons (45 L; 10.0 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Compact Radial Engines MZ 202 2 cylinder, 2 stroke, 48 kW (64 hp)
- Maximum speed: 129 km/h; 70 kn (80 mph)
- "Mosquito Aviation". Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Tacke, Willi; Marino Boric; et al: World Directory of Light Aviation 2015-16, page 208. Flying Pages Europe SARL, 2015. ISSN 1368-485X
- "Your own helicopter for under $20,000". Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Flying Magazine: 39. February 2008. Missing or empty