Mother, May I Sleep with Danger? (2016 film)
|Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?|
Television release poster
|Based on||Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?|
by Claire R. Jacobs
|Screenplay by||Amber Coney|
|Story by||James Franco|
|Directed by||Melanie Aitkenhead|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Producer(s)||Steven J. Brandman|
|Running time||86 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Rabbit Bandini Productions|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
Mother, May I Sleep with Danger? is a 2016 American television thriller film directed by Melanie Aitkenhead, written by Amber Coney, and starring James Franco (who conceived the story), Emily Meade, Tori Spelling, Leila George, Ivan Sergei, Nick Eversman, Emma Rigby, Amber Coney and Christie Lynn Smith. It is a remake of the 1996 film Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?, but with a vampire theme as well as original actors Tori Spelling and Ivan Sergei in different roles. The film premiered on Lifetime on June 18, 2016.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (July 2016)
A college girl named Leah (Leila George) befriends a fellow student named Pearl (Emily Meade) and falls in love with her much to the dismay of her mother Julie (Tori Spelling). Leah learns that Pearl is a Nightwalker, a human who can assume a vampire appearance at night. Unlike the other Nightwalkers, Pearl only targets abusive males. As Leah and Pearl's love relationship grows, Pearl must work to keep her safe from a group of other Nightwalkers where one of its deceased members was responsible for Pearl's Nightwalker conversion.
- James Franco as Play Director
- Emily Meade as Pearl
- Tori Spelling as Julie Lewisohn
- Leila George as Leah Lewisohn
- Ivan Sergei as Teacher
- Nick Eversman as Bob Segal
- Emma Rigby as Nightwalker
- Amber Coney as Sonté
- Taylor Laughlin
- Hadley Winn as Violet
- Christie Lynn Smith as Coral
- Gabrielle Haugh as Nightwalker
- Zoe Sidel as Nightwalker Queen
Critical reception for Mother, May I Sleep with Danger? has been mixed and the film currently holds a rating of 56% on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average rating of 5.4/10, based on 9 reviews. Sam Adams of Rolling Stone wrote a mostly favorable review, commenting that the film was "junk that knows it's junk" and that its "great feat is that it's a movie that manages to be both exploitative and progressive, in the way that Russ Meyer's movies feature strong female role models and also provide ample opportunity to peer down the front of busty young women's blouses." Daniel Fienberg of The Hollywood Reporter wrote that the film took itself too seriously in its first portion but that its third act "kicks into gear".
- Romano, Nick (2016-05-28). "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger trailer: James Franco's vampire remake features Tori Spelling". EW.com. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' (2016): TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. 2016-06-15. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger? (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 25, 2017.
- Adams, Sam (June 18, 2016). "Why WTF 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger' Remake Works". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017-01-25.