This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The mudflap girl is an iconic silhouette of a woman with an hourglass body shape, sitting, leaning back on her hands, with her hair being blown in the wind. The icon is typically found on mudflaps, clothing, and other items associated with trucking in the United States. The image is sometimes also known as trucker girl, trucker lady, or seated lady. In western Canada, the metal pieces forming the image are known as ‘chick weights.’
This famous design was created in the 1970s by Bill Zinda of Wiz Enterprises in Long Beach, California, to promote his line of truck and auto accessories. It is variously claimed to be modeled on Leta Laroe, a famous exotic dancer at the time or on Rachel Ann Allen, a friend's wife, and mother of Ed Allen, the trademark's owner.
The Mudflap Girl was a registered trademark in the United States from May 14, 2009 until June 11, 2011.
- As a parody, Wyoming Libraries use a mudflap girl holding a book, in an effort to attract readers.
- In issue #4 of the Dreamwave Productions comic Transformers: The War Within, Optimus Prime is portrayed as having a mudflap with the silhouette of Elita One.
- The Mudflap girl (as a chicken) was used in the Wacky Package "Perdude Chicken", parodying Perdue Farms.
- The feminist blog Feministing uses as its logo an ironic version of the mudflap girl holding up her middle finger.
- Trebay, Guy. "Front Row; Burly Girl Power". The New York Times. 19 August 2003.
- "Mud Flap Girl", simonroy.blogspot.com, April 16, 2007
- What I Learned About Truck Mud Flaps. Archived 2010-12-30 at the Wayback Machine. Boosh News. 28 March 2010.
- Kieth Barry, Apr 29, 2011 Wired.com Mudflap girl was this guy's Mom
- "Trademark Registration Number 3742024". United States Patent and Trademark Office. Archived from the original on 2013-11-25.
- The Wyoming Libraries Campaign Archived March 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Library's Mudflap Girl Campaign Turns Heads", by Matt Joyce (AP), Casper Star-Tribune, March 23, 2009.[dead link]
- "Wyoming Libraries Mudflap Girl bookmark". Wyoming Libraries. Archived from the original on October 19, 2010. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- "Wacky Packages Topps 6th Series 2007 Sticker: Perdude Chicken - #18". Wackypackages.org. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Feministing. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
|This truck-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|