Murk Teaser Poster
|Directed by||Jannik Johansen|
|Produced by||Thomas Gammeltoft
|Written by||Anders Thomas Jensen
|Starring||Nikolaj Lie Kaas
|Music by||Antony Genn|
|Edited by||Per K. Kirkegaard|
Film and Music Entertainment
Fine & Mellow Productions
|Distributed by||Nordisk Film Biografdistribution|
|Budget||22,000,000 DKK |
Murk is a 2005 Danish horror and psychological thriller film. The film was directed by Jannik Johansen, who wrote the screenplay along with Anders Thomas Jensen. The film stars Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Nicolas Bro.
Julie, a wheelchair-user, is said to have committed suicide on her wedding night. Her family is stunned, and no one can understand Julie's suicide. Her brother Jacob, a journalist, follows her ex-fiance to the Danish village of Mørke. Upon meeting him, Jacob discovers that he is going to marry another woman who uses a wheelchair. Upon these revelations, Jacob investigates whether Julie's ex-fiance is murdering women who use wheelchairs.
- Nikolaj Lie Kaas as Jacob
- Nicolas Bro as Anker
- Lærke Winther Andersen as Hanne
- Laura Drasbæk as Nina
- Lotte Bergstrøm as Julie
- Anne Sophie Byder as Sonja
- Morten Lützhøft as Carl
- Lisbet Lundquist as Caroline
- Hother Bøndorff as Rikkes far
- Katrine Hartmann Nielsen as Rikke Bjerre
- Lars Lunøe as Ka Hjort
- Jørgen Lysemose as Bryllupspianist
- Søren Thomsen as Onkel Svend
- Ane Vinther as Rikkes mor
The film was screened at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on 19 August 2005 and on 23 August 2005 at the Copenhagen International Film Festival. The film was released in Denmark on 7 October 2005.
Bodil Awards - 2006
- Nominated for Bodil award for Best Film (Bedste danske film)
- Nominated for Bodil for Best Supporting Actress (Bedste kvindelige birolle)
Robert Festival - 2006
- Nominated for a Robert award for Best Actor
- Nominated for a Robert award for Best Cinematography
- Nominated for a Robert award for Best Make-Up
- Nominated for a Robert award for Best Sound
- Nominated for a Robert award for Best Original Score
Marcel Sarmiento and Gadi Harel directed the American adaptation of the film entitled Merciless. The Gold Circle Films project was rewritten in late December 2009 by Ed Dougherty and was released in 2011.
- News: American Film Market (AFM): Update on Jannik Johansen's MURK
- Daily news dose: Anna Friel 'weds,' Stewart to direct 'Priest,' Danish flick gets remake
- Gold Circle Films Remaking Danish Film 'Murk'
- Deadgirl directors cleared for Murk remake
- Danish Thriller Mørke Gets English Remake
- Murk Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie Murk
- Softwares]eller-approval/4024185.article Copenhagen Screenings win seller approval | News | Screen
- Gold Circle's Remake of Murk Getting a Rewrite
- Crippled Brides Murdered by Gold Circle
- Deadgirl Duo Reteam For Gold Circle's 'Murke'