NHS West Midlands
NHS West Midlands was a strategic health authority (SHA) of the National Health Service in England. It operated in the West Midlands region, which is coterminous with the local government office region. It was abolished in April 2013.
NHS West Midlands (also known as West Midlands Strategic Health Authority) was created in July 2006, following the merger of Birmingham and The Black Country, Shropshire and Staffordshire, and West Midlands South SHAs.
It covers an area of approximately 5,000 square miles (13,000 km2) with a population of approximately 5.4 million. The region has a total of 46 NHS organisations: 19 NHS hospital trusts (including nine NHS foundation trusts); six NHS mental health services trusts (including three foundation trusts); 17 NHS primary care trusts; three community provider trusts and one NHS ambulance services trust.
The Strategic Health Authority was responsible for ensuring that the circa £10 billion spent on health and health care across the region delivers better services for patients and value for money for the people living in the West Midlands.
The areas encompassed by the SHA are: Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Herefordshire, Sandwell, Shropshire, Solihull, Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Telford and Wrekin, Walsall, Warwickshire, Wolverhampton and Worcestershire.
There are approximately 126,000 staff employed by the NHS in the West Midlands.
Every day almost a hundred thousand people are treated in hospital, see their GP or are cared for by the NHS in the West Midlands.
Full list of NHS organisations in the West Midlands
Primary care trusts
Primary Care Trusts were abolished in April 2013.
- Birmingham East and North Primary Care Trust
- NHS Coventry (Coventry Teaching PCT)
- Dudley PCT
- Heart of Birmingham Teaching PCT
- Herefordshire PCT
- NHS North Staffordshire (North Staffordshire PCT)
- Sandwell PCT
- Shropshire County PCT
- Solihull PCT
- NHS South Birmingham (South Birmingham PCT)
- South Staffordshire PCT
- Stoke On Trent PCT
- Telford and Wrekin PCT
- NHS Walsall (Walsall Teaching PCT)
- NHS Warwickshire (Warwickshire PCT)
- Wolverhampton City PCT
- NHS Worcestershire (Worcestershire PCT)
Community provider organisations
- Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Trust
- Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust
- Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
- Birmingham Children's NHS Foundation Trust
- Birmingham Women's NHS Foundation Trust
- Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust
- George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
- Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust
- Wye Valley NHS Trust
- Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust
- Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust
- The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
- Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust
- South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust
- University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust
- Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust
- Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Mental health trusts
- Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust
- Dudley and Walsall Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
- North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust
- Black Country Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Official website Link does not work.