|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Total||8 km2 (3 sq mi)|
|• Density||12,000/km2 (32,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Nagapattinam, Karaikal|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Nagapattinam|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Nagapattinam|
Nagore is a town in the Nagapattinam District, Tamil Nadu, India. It is located approximately 12 km south of Karaikal and 5 km north of Nagapattinam. Tiruvarur, Mayiladuthurai, Muthupet are nearby towns. It has a population of approximately 92,525. The prime attraction is the renowned Nagore Dargah, a revered place of all faiths. A five centuries old Islamic shrine, Nagore Dargah attracts millions of pilgrims irrespective of caste, creed or religion.
This is a small town along the shore of the Bay of Bengal. The festival season in Nagore occurs during the month of May, typically, but the festival dates will change, as they are based on the lunar calendar. The popular Kandhuri festival is celebrated with festivities and pomp and show. Notable temples exist, too. This shows the peaceful coexistence of Muslims and other faiths. The Seeralamman temple situated in the fishermen's area near Nagore railway station is a century-old Hindu shrine maintained by local fishermen. The annual Seeralamman festival season has ten days of celebration.
In Tamil Nadu Nagore Dargah is not only the Islamic Religious Centre but also Common Religious Gathering Point by which many Hundreds of Thousands of devotees attend to get the peerless benevolence. Whereby Hindus, Christians, Muslims,” all Triple Gems” of any other religious devotees can attend without any obstacles which “is irrespective of religion, Race, Caste”, and far beyond spiritualism, All three World’s Biggest Oceans are destined in one place that is Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu, similarly all three religious devotees gathering at one place in the globe “that” is Nagore Dargah, as all known by geographically and physically. Over the past four centuries the devotees from the whole corners of the world visiting with utmost pious and get the blessings abundantly from the Holiest Saint Nagore Aandavargal, and still they follow up the Islamic Cultural Heritage without any single hesitation as common.
- Chennai International Airport
- Tiruchirappalli International Airport
- Karaikal Private Airports (Under construction 2013-2016)*
- Nagore Mega Group ( Whats App Group ) ; Identity For Nagore Unity is also called NMG. Recently elected 6 person as secratery members.
- Rarely appearing fish in india : Flying fish (Kola meen - Available in particular seasons)
- Famous Sweets - Thamroot, Palgova (Milk Sweet), Dumadai (backed Rava cake), Uppurotti (Butter Busict), Nanahattha (White Sweet Busict)
Seenipachadi (Tomato sweet), Firnee (Famous Oats sweet), Beetroot Sweet, Bread Sweet often served in marriages, Vatalaapam a famous home made recipe prepared exclusively for both Eid festivals (Eid ul fitr and Eid ul Adha).
- Famous Dishes-
1.Harris Bakery & Grocery - Confectioners 1.Gwothiya Bakkery - Sweets 2.Dhalcha (Dhal, Veg. & Mutton gravy) 3.Thani kari (Mutton/Chicken Curry ) 4.Kuruma (Mutton /Chicken white Curry) 5.Kalya ( a recipie made of Goat Liver and potato mixed) 6.Nagore Biriyani and Pulau Rice. 7.Anji (5) Kari Soru 8.Nagore Waada.
Home made varieties.
1. Kola fish fry 2. "Paanga" a delicious fish curry. 3.Porima a healthy side dsch prepared from drumstick tree leaves. 4. Prawns Kolakatai. 5.Lapai a stuffed item. 6. Jalur ( an attribute of Dosa, prepared out of wheat batter) 7.Parasaapam another attributed of Dosa) 8. Vaada (it is prepared from porridge )
Nearest Railway Junctions
- Nagore station in 0 km
- Nagapattinam junction in 7 km
- Karaikal station in 12 km
- Thiruvarur junction in 26 km
- Mayiladuthurai junction in 54 km
- Tanjore junction in 96 km
- Thiruchirapalli junction in 145 km
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation., Karaikal (CPCL)
- Pondicherry Power Corporation Ltd., Karaikal (PPCL)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation., Karaikal (ONGC)
- Chemplast Sanmar., Karaikal
- Small scale industries produce raw materials for soap manufacturing
- Industrial Training Institute (Govt ITI)
- Valivalam Desikar Polytechnic College (VDPC)
- A.D.J.Dharmambal Polytechnic College
- E.G.S.Pillai Arts & science / Engg., College
- Ghouthia Higher Secondary School
- Crescent Matriculation Higher Secondary School (for Girls)
- National Higher Secondary School
- Nagore Modern Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- IDBI Bank (A Government of India owned bank)
- City Union Bank
- Kumbakonam Central Co-operative Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Indian Bank
- Canara bank
- Masjid Jamiya Ahlul Qur'an wal Hadees (JAQH)
- TNTJ Masjid - Malimar Street
- TNTJ Masjid - Railady Street
- JAQH Masjid - Bangala Thottam
- Mohideen Jamiya Masjid
- Nawab Walajah Jami'a Masjid (in Dargah)
- Mathaar Maricar Masjid (in Dargah)
- Qadiriya Masjid (in Dargah)
- Dewaansha Masjid (in Dargah)
- Yezhu Lebbai Jami'a Masjid
- Syed Jami'a Masjid
- Fathima Jami'a Masjid
- Hiluru Jami'a Masjid (Kattuppalli)
- Silladi Masjid
- Masthan Gani Masjid (Kollam palli)
- Theru Palli Masjid
- Thozhai Sahib Thaikkal Masjid
- Masjid Thowheed - Sinna Maraikar Thottam
- Perumal koil (includes "Vazhaipazha swami")
- Lord Shiva Temple - Near 'Theradi'
- Lord Anjaneya Temple - Back side to Perumal temple
- Mariamman Temple - Near 'Bus stand'
- Pillayar temple
- [ Nagore Mega Group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/218285368351647/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf ]
- Tamil Nadu tourism
- Nagore Online