Nancy Ekholm Burkert
|Nancy Ekholm Burkert|
|Born||February 16, 1933|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin, Madison|
|Known for||Children's book illustration.|
Nancy Ekholm Burkert (born February 16, 1933) is an American artist and illustrator. Her most celebrated work is the picture book Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1972), which was a New York Times Notable Book and a Caldecott Honor Book (one runner-up for the Caldecott Medal).
She won the Boston Globe-Horn Book Special Award for Valentine and Orson in 1990.
Her early work demonstrated a command of shading and texture through pencil and charcoal, in addition to her usual media of pen and ink combined with colored pencil and watercolor. Beginning with The Nightingale and concluding with Snow White, her mastery of light, shadow and depth combined Renaissance chiaroscuro with an Oriental awareness of space in settings that were realistic in detail, yet also fanciful and timeless in content. Her later work continued this emphasis on intense, intimate detail, revealing a passion for the complexity and variety of life.
Her illustration work on Valentine & Orson was considered to be a consistently whole work of art that was remarkable for its attention to detail and luminosity.
- Roald Dahl, James and the Giant Peach (1961)
- Natalie Savage Carlson, Jean-Claude’s Island (1963)
- Meindert de Jong, Big Goose and the Little White Duck (1963)
- Hans Christian Andersen, The Nightingale (1965)
- John Updike, Child’s Calendar (1965)
- Edward Lear and Ogden Nash, The Scroobious Pip (1968)
- Hans Christian Andersen, The Fir Tree (1970)
- The Brothers Grimm, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1972)
- David Larkin, ed., The Art of Nancy Ekholm Burkert (1977)
- Emily Dickinson, Acts of Light (1980)
- Valentine and Orson (1989), written and illustrated
- 1972 New York Times Notable Book: Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs
- 1973 Caldecott Award, Honor Book: Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs
- 1989 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award: Valentine and Orson
- 1995 Wisconsin Library Association Wisconsin Notable Authors
- Levy, Hannah Heidi (2004). Famous Wisconsin: Artists and Architects. Oregon, WI: Badger Books.
- Curley, Jane Bayard (2003). Nancy Ekholm Burkert: The Art of Illustration: a Deep and Delicate Vision. Amherst, MA: Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art.
- Larkin, David (1977). The Art of Nancy Ekholm Burkert. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- Trout, Anita M. (2003). Burkert, Nancy Ekholm. Ipswich, Massachusetts: Literary Reference Center. p. 131. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Burkert, Nancy Ekholm". Wisconsin Children's Authors & Illustrators. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Nancy Ekholm Burkert: The Art of Illustration". The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "1995 Notable Wisconsin Authors". Wisconsin Library Association. 2004. Archived from the original on 19 May 2009. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- Silvey, Anita (2009). "Special Citations". Horn Book Magazine 85 (1): 35–40. Retrieved 26 July 2015.