|Word/name||Place name in St Mawgan in Pydar|
|Meaning||"Valley of the Woodcocks"|
|Region of origin||Cornwall|
Nankivell is a surname originating from Cornwall. Notable people with the surname include:
- Edward J. Nankivell
- Joice NanKivell Loch, Australian author, journalist and humanitarian worker
- Rex Nan Kivell KCMG (1898–1977), New Zealand-born British art collector
- Gary Nankivell, master optical craftsman from New Zealand. The Nankivell Observatory was named in his honour.
- Frank Arthur Nankivell (1869–1959), Australian artist
- Kevin Nancekivell, English footballer
- Richard Nancekivell, Cornish rugby union player
The name derives from 'Nanskeval' a place on the parish boundaries of St Mawgan in Pydar and St Columb Major, which in 1277 was spelled Nanscuvel. Nanskeval house was once the home of Liberal MP Edward Brydges Willyams and is still part of the Carnanton estate which is still owned by descendants of the same family. Nans means 'valley' in Old Cornish (Welsh: nant) and Kivell is thought to derive from the Cornish equivalent of the Welsh word ceffyl, meaning a horse. This meaning of the name is often quoted but is very unlikely. The Cornish for 'horse' is 'margh' (Welsh: march). A much more likely meaning of the name and its variants is "Valley of the Woodcock" since 'woodcock' in Cornish is 'kevelek' (Welsh: cyffylog, ceffylog - Scolopax rusticola) and woodcock were common in the woods in the Vale of Lanherne in St Mawgan in Pydar where Nanskeval House once was.
The registers of the Parish of St Columb Major, Cornwall from the year 1539 to 1780 have this: "The name Nankivell is pure Keltic and means the Glen of the Woodcock (generally spelt Nanskevall)...an old oak wood, lies about 2 miles from St Columb". There are other authorities that agree with this.
- Nankivell news website includes history of the name.
- Ceffyl (in Welsh)
South Dakota Archery Association Record Books, NFAA Records.
|surname Nankivell. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|