নসরুল হামিদ বিপু
|State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources|
|Assumed office |
22 January 2014
|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Amanullah Aman|
|Born||13 November 1964|
Dhaka, East Pakistan, Pakistan
|Political party||Bangladesh Awami League|
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka|
Nasrul Hamid (born 13 November 1964) is a Bangladeshi politician. He is serving as the State Minister for the Ministry of Power, Energy & Mineral Resources, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. His late father, Hamidur Rahman, was a prominent figure in the liberation war, and his late mother, Hasna Hamid, was actively engaged in politics. Hamidur Rahman was a founding member of the Bangladesh Awami League and was later appointed as the Treasurer of the Awami League. He was elected as a member of the Parliament in 1970.
Early life and education
Hamid completed his S.S.C from the Dhaka Residential Model College in 1980, and his H.S.C from the Residential Model College, Dhaka, Bangladesh in 1982. He was very much active in sports, being the team captain of his college's football and hockey team. His penchant for art bought him the prestigious Shankar's Award. He was a stellar student, involved in debating, painting and sports. He was also the student monitor of college. In that very young age, he received the Principal's All Rounder Shield for his outstanding achievements. Mr. Nasrul Hamid has completed his bachelor's degree under the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Beside the academic studies, he is very fond of architecture, design and arts.
Nasrul Hamid's first foray into business came with the death of his father, when he took up the charge of Managing Director of his father's company Greenways Corporation Limited. He worked primarily with Agro-business and Cold Storage. Later, Mr. Hamid started his own venture called Priyoprangon, a property development and real-estate firm, which went on to become very successful. Hamid was one of the founding members Real Estate and Housing Association of Bangladesh (REHAB). He later went on to become the President of REHAB during 2010–2014.
Nasrul Hamid has participated in the national election held in 2001. He became the Member of Parliament for Dhaka-3 (Keraniganj) in 2008. He has also been re-elected in 2014 and 2018. Mr. Hamid has been serving as State Minister for the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources from 2014. He has been appointed again to the same position for second time in the year of 2019 and he has joined on January 7, 2019. He is also a patron of CRI (Center for Research and Information), which is the Research Wing of Bangladesh Awami League.
In the year of 2018 and was given the responsibilities of the same ministry as State Minister. His addition to the Ministry brought robustness, which was in line with the vision 2021. As a State Minister, he envisioned and expedited a plethora of organizational and technical changes. Some of the highlights during his tenure are:
- Power output of Bangladesh increases from 10289 MW to 21419 MW
- Worked to implement ERP in the Power divisions
- Gas Production increased from 2,300 to 3,200 million cubic feet (65 to 91 million cubic metres) per day
- Massive restructuring in the transmission lines having plan to extend power transmission lines by 36,870 km by 2041
- Increase in customer focus in distribution companies. Implementation of SCADA system, Underground cable and Increased load on substations
- Distribution and use of 5.5 million solar home system, which is the largest off-grid power solution in the world
- Implementation of 3 FSRU and small regasification units to alleviate the countries gas crisis
- Focus on human resources development for the future through a string of development agencies. Most notable are: Bangladesh petroleum Institute, Bangladesh Power Institute, Energy and Power research council and Bangladesh Power Management Institute
- Involving the youth by creating an internship program led by a ministry; a first in Bangladesh
- Increasing the capacity of Bangladesh's Power and Energy companies to enter into the financial markets.
- Increasing the prospect of Bangladesh in the international alternative finance markets, notably the bond market.
Nasrul Hamid has been awarded by the distinguished organizations and countries. He receives the Order of Civil Merit (Orden del Civil Mérito) of Spain from Spanish Ambassador Álvaro de Salas Giménez de Azcárate on behalf of King FELIPE VI, Kingdom of Spain at a programme in Dhaka. This is the highest civilian award by the Government of Spain. King FELIPE VI honored H.E. Nasrul Hamid for his significant contribution to the improvement of bilateral relations between Bangladesh and Spain.
He has been honoured with “Visionary Leader of Change” award. World HRD Congress, an India-based organisation, selected Mr. Hamid for the award for organising the youths of Bangladesh and making great contribution to increasing their capabilities and financial opportunities.
Mr. Hamid has been awarded 'Charismatic Leader of the Youth' by The Golden Globe Tigers 2018 for his significant contribution for creating youth development opportunities in Bangladesh. The Golden Globe Tigers is a Malaysian-based organization which recognizes Charismatic Leaders from all over the world.
- "Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources". mpemr.gov.bd. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "ORWA | Old Remians Welfare Association". ORWA | Old Remians Welfare Association. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Mr. Nasrul Hamid MP | Biography". nasrulhamid.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "HRECL - Projects - Land". www.hamidgroup.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Bangladesh National Parliament".
- "Power Sector Update".
- "Power Division moves to introduce ERP system". Daily Sun. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "PETROBANGLA". petrobangla.org.bd. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Plan to extend power transmission lines by 36,870 kms by 2041". Dhaka Tribune. 30 September 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Multi Level Planning (Power Sector), Planning Division" (PDF).
- টেকসই ও নবায়নযোগ্য জ্বালানি উন্নয়ন কর্তৃপক্ষ. www.sreda.gov.bd. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Second LNG terminal to start operations in March". The Daily Star. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Bangladesh Power Management Institute's training starts". energybd. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Internship under Power and Energy Ministry to be raised to 500 soon: Nasrul Hamid". UNB. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "2017 in review: Power generation continues to grow, and so does price". Dhaka Tribune. 27 December 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Energy & Power Magazine". ep-bd.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Nasrul Hamid receives Spain's highest civil honour". The Financial Express. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Nasrul Hamid wins 'Visionary Leader of Change' award". The Daily Star. 3 January 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2019.