Natchez–Adams County Airport
|Natchez–Adams County Airport|
|Elevation AMSL||272 ft / 83 m|
Natchez–Adams County Airport (IATA: HEZ, ICAO: KHEZ, FAA LID: HEZ), also known as Hardy–Anders Field, is a county-owned public-use airport located six nautical miles (11 km) northeast of the central business district of Natchez, a city in Adams County, Mississippi, United States.
Facilities and aircraft
The airport covers an area of 900 acres (360 ha) at an elevation of 272 feet (83 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 13/31 is 6,500 by 150 feet (1,981 x 46 m) and 18/36 is 5,000 by 150 feet (1,524 x 46 m).
For the 12-month period ending January 31, 2009, the airport had 17,700 aircraft operations, an average of 48 per day: 93% general aviation, 5% air taxi, 2% military. At that time there were 33 aircraft based at this airport: 82% single-engine, 9% multi-engine, 6% jet and 3% helicopter.
Past airline service
Historically, Natchez had scheduled airline service operated by Southern Airways for many years. Southern commenced operations into the airport during the mid 1950s with Douglas DC-3 aircraft. The Dec. 1, 1973 Southern Airways system timetable lists several flights a day to Jackson, Memphis, New Orleans and other destinations operated with 40-passenger Martin 4-0-4 propliners. Southern then ended all service to Natchez during the mid 1970s and was replaced by a commuter airline, South Central Air Transport (SCAT) which flew Handley Page Jetstream turboprops to Jackson, New Orleans and other destinations. Another airline that served Natchez was Trans-Texas Airways (TTa). The Sept. 24, 1961 Trans-Texas Airways system timetable lists flights to Houston, Jackson and other destinations operated with 21-seat Douglas DC-3s. In the mid 1980s, Royale Airlines operated commuter turboprop aircraft to Jackson and New Orleans. By 1994, Lone Star Airlines was operating Fairchild Swearingen Metroliner commuter propjet flights direct to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) via an intermediate stop in Nacogdoches, TX. The airport currently does not have any scheduled airline flights.
- FAA Airport Master Record for HEZ ( PDF), effective 2009-07-02.
- Natchez–Adams County Airport page at Adams County website
- Sept. 26, 1954 Southern Airways system timetable
- Dec. 1, 1973 Southern Airways system timetable
- Official Airline Guide (OAG), Feb. 1, 1976 edition
- Sept. 24, 1961 Trans-Texas Airways system timetable
- Nov. 1, 1984 Royale Airlines system timetable
- http://www.departedflights.com, Oct. 1, 1994 Lone Star Airlines route map
- Sept. 15, 1994 Official Airline Guide (OAG), Natchez flight schedules
- FAA Terminal Procedures for HEZ, effective June 21, 2018
- Resources for this airport: