||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nathan M. Schulhof|
Nathan and Audio Highway's Listen Up player
May 17, 1949 |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Occupation||Executive Vice President, Solar Components, LLC|
|Website||Solar Components, LLC|
Nathan M. Schulhof (born May 17, 1949 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is a technology industry entrepreneur with a career that spans over three decades. Schulhof is listed as the lead inventor on three U.S. patents (5,557,541; 5,572,442 and 5,841,979),.
However, Schulhof is also listed as co-inventor on another U.S. patent (6,549,942), and a fifth U.S. patent (5,914,941) references 5,557,541 and was assigned (as were the other four patents) to Audio Highway Media Corporation (a company co-founded and led by Schulhof when the patents were filed and/or issued). Audio Highway's Listen Up Player, the father of the MP3 player, won an Innovation Award from the Consumer Electronics Show in 1997 and a 1998 People's Choice Award at the 2nd annual Internet Showcase conference, held Jan. 30, 1998 and presented by Upside Media, Inc. and event host and co-founder, David Coursey.Because of his very early patents for a downloadable portable media player, Schulhof is often thought of as the father of the MP3 player.
These patents, along with the remaining assets of audiohighway.com, were acquired in 2003 by Sony Corp.
In addition to his career with Information Highway Media Corp. (later renamed Audio Highway and then audiohighway.com) where Schulhof served as president, CEO and board member, he has also held executive positions with HandHeld Entertainment, TestDrive Corporation, Silicon Valley Systems and Jasmine Systems.
Schulhof co-founded Solar Components, LLC, a Silicon Valley-based firm in the solar power industry. Originally from the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, Schulhof currently resides in Southern California.
- TIME magazine, Gadgets Then And Now -- Audio Listening Devices, 29 November 2010
- Carmel Magazine interview with Nathan
- Valley Life Magazine interview with Nathan on page 16-18
- Mobile Magazine ZVUE, or not to?
- Deseret News article about Nathan
- WebWeek featuring Nathan as a mover and shaker of the Internet
- Success magazine interview with Nathan
- WSJ article on patents wherein Nathan discusses how movies, music and other data will be moved through electronic delivery systems
- Press release discussing Audio Highway's deal with Enso Audio Imaging to provide content for the Listen Up player
- VARBusiness article discussing Audio Highway's innovative idea of transferring audio files from a computer onto a portable audio player
- 5,557,541: Apparatus for distributing subscription and on-demand audio programming
- 5,572,442: System for distributing subscription and on-demand audio programming
- 5,841,979: Enhanced delivery of audio data
- 6,549,942: Enhanced delivery of audio data for portable playback; and 5,914,941: Portable information storage/playback apparatus having a data interface.