National Background Investigations Bureau
The National Background Investigations Bureau (NBIB) is a semi-autonomous U.S. Government agency housed within the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) that is responsible for conducting security clearance investigations into individuals who need to hold security clearances for employment purposes. Creation of the agency was announced in January 2016. NBIB is the primary service provider of background investigations for the U.S. Government and conducts approximately 95 percent of government-wide background investigations for more than 100 federal agencies. The agency's background investigation information technology (IT) systems will be designed, built, secured, and operated by the United States Department of Defense.
The NBIB Director is Charles S. Phalen, Jr., who formerly served as Vice President of Corporate Security for Northrop Grumman Corporation. Director Phalen has more than 30 years of federal service, most recently serving as Director of Security for the Central Intelligence Agency and Assistant Director, Security Division, for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. NBIB Special Agents go through training consisting of six weeks of classroom instruction in the Federal Background Investigator Training Program (FBITP), a field investigator course, and one year of on-the-job training. The agency's National Training Center (NTC) and training programs are accredited by the Federal Law Enforcement Training Accreditation (FLETA) Board, and the American Council on Education (ACE) awards twelve undergraduate credits to those who successfully complete and pass the FBITP. NBIB replaces OPM's Federal Investigative Services following a series of intelligence failures and investigations conducted into USIS (company) for contract fraud.
- AYESHA RASCOE AND DUSTIN VOLZ (January 22, 2016). "White House turns to Pentagon in U.S. background checks shake-up". Reuters. Retrieved January 22, 2016.
- "National Background Investigations Bureau: About Us".
- "National Background Investigations Bureau: Our Vision".
- "National Background Investigations Bureau: Our Director".
- "National Background Investigations Bureau: Our Standards".
- "What does it take to measure up to the NBIB?".
- "White House creates agency to handle background checks". The Washington Examiner.
|This United States government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|