National Cyber Security Awareness Month
National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) is observed each October since its inception in 2004 in the United States of America. Sponsored by the National Cyber Security Division (NCSD) within the Department of Homeland Security and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA, a non-profit organization), National Cyber Security Awareness Month encourages vigilance and protection by all computer users. "Cyber threats pose one of the gravest national security dangers the United States faces" -Barack Obama.
During the month of October, the Department and the NCSA reach out to all Americans, public- and private-sector partners and the international community about cyber threats and offers tips and best practices concerning how to stay safe online.
The overall NCSAM theme is Our Shared Responsibility to reflect the notion that cyberspace cannot be secured without the help of all users. Each year, the month has weekly themes that deal with specific groups and trends in cybersecurity.
In line with President Obama’s 60-day review of cyber security, NCSAM builds on existing programs within the Department of Homeland Security. NCSD and NCSA continue to encourage participation in the Cyber Security Awareness Volunteer Education (C-SAVE) Program. The C-SAVE Program advocates for cyber security professionals to visit local schools to educate students on cyber security threats and the importance of staying safe online.
In other countries
In 2011, Norway started its own version called National Safety Month (Nasjonal sikkerhetsmåned) organized by NorSIS. Sponsored by agencies and companies like the The Norwegian National Security Authority (NSM), the Danish Data Protection Agency, Microsoft, Difi (Agency for Public Management and eGovernment) and Secunia.
During this month, NorSIS reaches out to the public with radio ads, advice on sikkert.no and arrangements in some cities.
- "FBI — National Cyber Security Awareness Month". FBI.
- "About National Cyber Security Awareness Month". StaySafeOnline.org. Archived from the original on July 31, 2014.
- "National Cyber Security Awareness Month". U.S. Department of Homeland Security. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Obama, Barack. "Presidential Proclamation -- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, 2014". Whitehouse.gov. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "National Cyber Security Alliance". StaySafeOnline.org. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "C-SAVE: C-SAVE is NCSA's easy-to-use volunteer program to teach young people cybersecurity, cybersafety and cyberethics.". StaySafeOnline.org. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "European Cyber Security Month". cybersecuritymonth.eu. Archived from the original on October 10, 2013.
- "Nasjonal sikkerhetsmåned, oktober 2012" [National Safety Month, October 2012]. NorSIS – Norsk senter for informasjonssikring (Norwegian Centre for Information Security). Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Nasjonal sikkerhetsmåned" [National Safety Month]. NorSIS – Norsk senter for informasjonssikring (Norwegian Centre for Information Security). Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2014, FBI
- Our Shared Responsibility, Homeland Security
- Need for More Cyber Security Professionals, Norwich University
- The Impact Cyber Attacks Have On Us, Utica College
- How Safe is that Wifi? SecureDataRecovery
- 2016 Cybercrime Report & Prevention Tips Geeks On Site