National Dance Theatre Company of Jamaica
The company was founded in 1962 by Rex Nettleford and Eddy Thomas with fifteen dancers, with Nettleford acting as its artistic director and principal choreographer, and Martha Graham as patron. Drawing on African Caribbean folk traditions and cultural themes as well as modern dance, the company has promoted Caribbean culture through its performances. On its foundation, the stated aim was "projecting the movement patterns and customs of the island to people locally and abroad", and they stated that they would "maintain constant research and documentation of our folk legends and customs to be used as thematic material for new dances". The company has been regarded as part of the People's National Party's efforst to 'decolonize' Jamaica of European influence.
The company toured Australia in 1976 with financial assistance from the Australian government, and has performed in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Finland, Germany, and through the Caribbean and Latin America.
Based at the Little Theatre on Tom Redcam Drive in Kingston, the company performs an annual season in Jamaica. The current artistic director is Barry Moncrieffe, who was one of the original members of the company.
- "NDTC gets refurbished offices from Digicel Foundation", Jamaica Observer, 15 July 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- Jefferson, Albertina A. (1999) Rex Nettleford and His Works: an Annotated Bibliography, University of the West Indies Press, ISBN 978-9766400538, p. 5, 11, 14, 27
- Thomas, Deborah A. (2005) Modern Blackness: Nationalism, Globalization, and the Politics of Culture in Jamaica, Duke University Press, ISBN 978-0822334194, p. 67
- Gauldie, Robin (2012) Jamaica, New Holland Publishers Ltd, ISBN 978-1780091617, p. 33
- Hodges, Hugh (2008) Soon Come: Jamaican Spirituality, Jamaican Poetics, University of Virginia Press, ISBN 978-0813926834, p. 61
- Bennett, Wycliffe (2007) "National Dance Theatre Company's (NDTC) - dances to its mandate", Jamaica Gleaner, 3 August 2007. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- Thomson, Ian (2011), Dead Yard: A Story of Modern Jamaica, ISBN 978-1568586564, p. 286
- "National Dance Theatre Company (NDTC) to appear in New York again", Jamaica Gleaner, 24 April 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- Bridgetts, Blair (1999) "Jamaican National Dance Company at Central", Hartford Courant, 10 June 1999, p. 20
- "Jamaican Dance Troupe Presents Strong Program", Miami Herald, 14 December 1992, p. 3C
- "NDTC's 51st Set For Weekend Start", Jamaica Gleaner, 23 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- Reckord, Michael (2013) "Jackie Guy, MBE - A J'can Success Story", Jamaica Gleaner, 9 August 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- Reckord, Michael (2013) "Two New Dances By NDTC Veterans - 2013 Season Opens At The Little Theatre Tonight", Jamaica Gleaner, 26 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- "National Dance Theatre Company (NDTC) founding dancer makes final exit", Jamaica Gleaner, 30 November 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2013
- Nettleford, Rex (1985) Dance Jamaica: Cultural definition and artistic discovery : the National Dance Theatre Company of Jamaica, 1962-1983, Grove Press, ISBN 9780394543161
- Sörgel, Sabine (2007) Dancing Postcolonialism: The National Dance Theatre Company of Jamaica, Transcript Verlag, ISBN 978-3899426427