National Trumpet Competition
The National Trumpet Competition is an annual music competition for students in the US that usually takes place in mid-March. It includes classical and jazz divisions at school through college levels for soloists and ensembles. The competition was formerly held at George Mason University until 2013; and was held at Messiah College in 2014 and 2015. The 2016 competition will be at Columbus State University.
Students can register by completing an online form at the competition website, as well as attaching a link to a YouTube or Vimeo video of them performing only a published (including a self-published) composition from the trumpet repertoire, with piano accompaniment. They must also send in an application fee, and an NTC pianist fee (optional). Entrants are selected based on their videos, and are notified of results in mid-January.
Semi-finals and finals
Semi-finals and finals in each division are now held at the Schwob School of Music at Columbus State University. They are judged by professional trumpeters from around the area including Steven Hendrickson of the National Symphony Orchestra, Dr. Edelbrock, and members from Washington D.C.'s military bands. Depending on the division, there are about 25-50 competitors (except the junior division, which is usually smaller). After the first day, about five soloists and ensembles (although often ranging from 3 to 6) from each division move on to the finals, which usually take place a day or two later and at which one winner is chosen. Second and third place finalists usually also receive an award. The finalists have their finals audition posted on YouTube.
|1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place||Finalists|
|Baylor University - Green||Florida State University||Southern Methodist University|
|University of Michigan||Cal State Long Beach||Cincinnati Conservatory of Music|
|Oklahoma State University - Black||University of Texas at Austin||Central Michigan University|
|Curtis Institute of Music||University of Kentucky||Eastman School of Music - 2|
|Baylor University - Green||University of Miami||Oklahoma State University - Black|
|Oklahoma State University - Orange||Southern Methodist University||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2014||Oklahoma State University - Orange||University of Kentucky||Baylor University - Gold||University of Massachusetts-Amherst||University of Georgia
Eastman School of Music
|2013||Baylor University - Gold||Northwestern University||California State University Long Beach||Ithaca College||Baylor University - Green
Oklahoma State University - Orange
|2012||Northwestern University||The Juilliard School||Baylor University - Gold||Indiana University||Florida State University
|2011||Baylor University - A||Florida State University||Indiana University||University of Kentucky - Blue||Baylor University - B
University of Oklahoma
University of Southern Mississippi
|2010||The Juilliard School||Indiana University - B||Grand Valley State University - A||University of Kentucky||Indiana University - A
Sam Houston State University
University of Texas
|2009||The Juilliard School||Northwestern University||Grand Valley State University||Baylor University||Boston University - A
Boston University - B
Past solo winners
- James Peyden Shelton was awarded 1st place in the 2014 Graduate Soloist Division performing Joseph Turrin's Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra.
- Natalie Dungey won the Junior division in 2009, when she was 10, with a performance of the Trumpet Concerto by Alexander Arutiunian that attracted international attention on YouTube.
- Chad Winkler won in 1995, 1998, and 2000.
- Caleb Hudson won in 2001 and 2004 and was part of the first-place Juilliard ensembles in 2009 and 2010.
- Olivier Anthony Theurillat was awarded 1st place in the highest soloist division in 1996.
- http://www.nationaltrumpetcomp.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=397369 Rules and Regulations
- http://www.nationaltrumpetcomp.org/uploads/2016NTCrules.pdf Rules and Regulations PDF
- Sarah de Crescenzo, "On a high note", Orange County Register, July 1, 2014.
- Carrie Sheffield, "Young trumpeters hit high note at contest at GMU", The Washington Times, March 16, 2008.
- "Trumpeter Hunter Eberly wins top prize at National Trumpet Competition", Grand Rapids Press, March 18, 2009.
- Matthew Woods, "Meridian alumnus Huss wins National Trumpet Competition", Midland Daily News, May 18, 2013.
- http://www.nationaltrumpetcomp.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=397370 Schwob School of Music
- http://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/mtm/ShowMusicians/3 NSO Roster
- http://nationaltrumpetcomp.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=386674 2015 Final Results
- "Peyden Shelton, Trumpet". Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "REMINDER: See & Hear ‘The Planets’ with NW Symphony Orchestra Saturday", The B-Town Blog, October 22, 2014.
- David Brock, "Featured soloist: Natalie Dungey", Central Kentucky News, June 11, 2011.
- "Jupiter Presents NTC Winner with XO Horn", Jupiter Band Instruments, May 18, 2009.
- Jillian Clemente, "Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra to indulge fans of movies and TV", The Daily Athenaeum, October 26, 2014.
- "Trumpeter Caleb Hudson to give two Athens performances", University of Georgia press release, Athens Banner-Herald, October 28, 2013.