|Born||March 7, 1979|
Neal Morgan (born March 7, 1979) is an American drummer, arranger of drums and percussion, and singer-songwriter. Morgan is best known as the drummer for Joanna Newsom and Bill Callahan.
Morgan began drumming for Joanna Newsom in 2006 for the touring cycle in support of her second album Ys. In a 2007 interview, Newsom said of Morgan "I am in awe of him...he elevates literally every musical project he touches." He arranged drums and percussion for the live performance of that material as well as arranging for songs from her debut release, The Milk-Eyed Mender. Morgan contributed singing as well as performing his drum and percussion arrangements on Newsom's 2007 EP Joanna Newsom and the Ys Street Band. Morgan arranged and performed the drums and percussion on Newsom's third record, the triple album Have One On Me, released in 2010, and accompanied Newsom in live performance for the tour cycle for that record, often opening shows with solo sets of drumming and singing.
Morgan began drumming for Bill Callahan in 2009 at the tail end of Callahan's touring for his second self-titled album Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle. Morgan and Callahan performed as a duo for a tour of the Southern United States in late 2009 and a second tour of Spain, France and Portugal in 2010. Morgan arranged drums and percussion on Callahan's third self-titled record, Apocalypse, released in 2011, and along with guitarist Matt Kinsey accompanied Callahan for the tour cycle in support of that album. He was featured in the 2012 Hanly Banks documentary Apocalypse, which followed a 2011 Bill Callahan tour in the United States.
Morgan arranged and performed drums and percussion with Robin Pecknold and Morgan Henderson on the soundtrack for the documentary Birth Story: Ina May Gaskin & The Farm Wives in 2012.
Morgan has self-released two solo records composed of only his own drumming and singing, To The Breathing World, 2009 and In The Yard, 2011. Both were distributed by Drag City. In The Yard featured Philip Guston's painting Evidence, 1970 on the cover. Morgan has lectured on the painter Philip Guston since 2012. He gave four lectures on the west coast of the United States on the occasion of Guston's 100th birthday in June, 2013.
On October 22, 2013, Morgan performed the song Corduroy from Pearl Jam's album Vitalogy with Robin Pecknold and Daniel Rossen on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, as a part of that show's "Pearl Jam Week".
Morgan and Robin Pecknold scored the Off-Broadway play Wyoming, which was written by Brian Watkins and directed by Danya Taymor. The play was presented at NYC's Theater For The New City from January 15–31, 2015.
- "Neal Morgan: Sunday, Feb. 5, Holocene". Wweek.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Benson, Thor. "A Different Drum | Music". Portland Mercury. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Kun, Josh (2012-01-23). "BOMBLOG: Mixtape: Neal Morgan by Gary Canino". Bombsite.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Drumming in the Garage with Neal Morgan". Thebomberjacket.com. 2012-05-29. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Feels Like Home #47: Neal Morgan". Into The Woods.Tv. 2012-05-19. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Dusted Features [ Vision Creation Newsom! ]". Dustedmagazine.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Joanna Newsom: Joanna Newsom & the Ys Street Band EP | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2007-04-23. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me". Uncut.co.uk. 1969-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Live Review: Joanna Newsom and Robin Pecknold @ The Moore 8/4". Blog.kexp.org. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Matson on Music | Concert review: Joanna Newsom and Robin Pecknold at The Moore 08/04/10 | Seattle Times Newspaper". Seattletimes.com. 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Virtuosic Joanna Newsom Charms at Carnegie Hall | SPIN | Live | We Were There". SPIN. 2010-11-24. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Bill Callahan @ Barbican, London | Live Reviews". musicOMH. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Skinner, James (2011-06-06). "Review / Bill Callahan @ Sala Bikini, Barcelona, 23/05/11 / Gigs // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Shannon, Jeff (2012-09-06). "'Apocalypse: A Bill Callahan Tour Film': Musician is still a mystery | Movies". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Feb 9, 2012 | Flora Recording & Playback". Florarecording.com. 2012-02-09. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Roy Harper to release "Man And Myth" on". Bella Union. 2013-07-04. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Warfield, Russell (2012-01-31). "Neal Morgan - In the Yard / Releases / Releases // Drowned In Sound". Drownedinsound.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Music Blog: Exclusive: Stream Neal Morgan's New Album". opbmusic. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Neal Morgan - To The Breathing World". Drag City. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Neal Morgan - In The Yard". Drag City. 2009-05-21. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Stumptown Coffee Roasters. "A Conversation with Drummer Neal Morgan - Stumptown Coffee Roasters". Stumptowncoffee.com. Archived from the original on 2015-06-01. Retrieved 2013-07-29. Cite uses deprecated parameter