Neither Fish nor Flesh
|Neither Fish nor Flesh|
|Studio album by|
|Genre||Psychedelic pop, rock, R&B, funk|
|Producer||Terence Trent D'Arby|
|Terence Trent D'Arby chronology|
|The Village Voice||A−|
In a review of Neither Fish nor Flesh for The Village Voice, Robert Christgau said despite D'Arby's pretensions and awful lyrics on some songs, the psychedelic pop record's music "proves D'Arby a master of the black spectrum from the trad r&b of 'I'll Be Alright' to the reconstructed Prince-funk of 'This Side of Love'". Rolling Stone critic Mark Coleman said D'Arby's effort "fails to establish him as a visionary pop godhead. It does, however, demonstrate convincingly that he’s far more than a mere legend in his own mind." AllMusic's Tom Demalon retrospectively called it "a sprawling, overly ambitious work that incorporates Middle Eastern flavorings and even more of a gospel influence into his gritty mix of rock, R&B, and funk", although he felt D'Arby's "pretensions run a bit wild".
On the album commentary on his website, D'Arby (now known as Sananda Maitreya) claimed that the album's lack of commercial impact was due to his record company's "wholesale rejection of it" as well as being hindered by German record producer Frank Farian who decided to release an album of D'Arby's performances with funk band The Touch (from 1984) in Germany just weeks before Neither Fish Nor Flesh was due for release. Maitreya states that Neither Fish Nor Flesh was "the project that literally killed ‘TTD’, and from whose molten ashes, began the life of Sananda". 
All songs written and arranged by Terence Trent D'Arby.
- "Declaration: Neither Fish Nor Flesh" – 1:44
- "I Have Faith in These Desolate Times" – 4:14
- "It Feels So Good to Love Someone Like You" – 3:38
- "To Know Someone Deeply Is to Know Someone Softly" – 4:27
- "I'll Be Alright" – 5:57
- "Billy Don't Fall" – 4:21
- "This Side of Love" – 4:59
- "Attracted to You" – 4:01
- "Roly Poly" – 3:54
- "You Will Pay Tomorrow" – 4:54
- "I Don't Want to Bring Your Gods Down" – 6:19
- "...And I Need to Be With Someone Tonight" – 3:04
- Terence Trent D'Arby – vocals, kazoo, saxophone, Fender Rhodes, sitar, scratching, timpani, guitar, drums, percussion, piano, organ, arrangements
- Jack Bayle – trombone
- Pete Glenister, Conor Brady, Anthony Drennan, Bob Brimson, Percy Robinson – guitar
- Eoghan O'Neill, Cass Lewis, Tony Molloy – bass
- Simon Clarke – alto saxophone
- Incredible E.G. O'Reilly (Terence Trent D'Arby) – handclapping
- Pete Wingfield – piano
- Michael Timothy – bass, piano, Hammond organ, Fender Rhodes, recorder, conductor
- Richard Addison, David White – clarinet
- Bob Andrews – Hammond organ
- Ben Cruft, Wilfred Gibson, Alan Smale, Gavyn Wright – violin
- Stephen McDonnell, Roddy Lorimer, Dick Pearce, Paul Spong – trumpet
- Kick Horns – horns
- Roger Chase, Chris Wellington, David Emanuel, Neil Martin – viola
- Michael Jeans – oboe
- Christian Marsac – guitar, saxophone
- Geoff Dunn – drums
- Carl Geraghty, John Curran – saxophone
- Martin Loveday, John Heley – cello
- Tim Sanders, Richie Buckley – tenor saxophone
- Helen Davies – harp
- The Degani Ensemble - strings
|Australian Albums Chart||40|
|Austrian Albums Chart||28|
|Dutch Albums Chart||32|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||42|
|Norway Albums Chart||16|
|Swedish Albums Chart||47|
|Switzerland Albums Chart||20|
|UK Albums Chart||12|
|US Billboard 200||61|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||75|
- AllMusic review
- "Neither Fish nor Flesh : Terence Trent D'Arby : Review : Rolling Stone". 30 November 2007. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Robert Christgau: Consumer Guide Dec. 26, 1989". www.robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
-  Retrieved January 19, 2009
- Hung, Steffen. "Discografie Terence Trent D'Arby - dutchcharts.nl". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Hung, Steffen. "norwegiancharts.com - Discography Terence Trent D'Arby". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- Hung, Steffen. "swedishcharts.com - Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing The Hardline According To". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Hung, Steffen. "Terence Trent D'Arby - hitparade.ch". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY - full Official Chart History - Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Terence Trent D'Arby Neither Fish Nor Flesh Chart History". Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Terence Trent D'Arby Neither Fish Nor Flesh Chart History". Retrieved 15 October 2018.