Neon (Chris Young song)
|Single by Chris Young|
|from the album Neon|
|Released||March 26, 2012|
|Chris Young singles chronology|
"Neon" is a song recorded by American country music artist Chris Young. It was released in March 2012 as the third single and title track from his album Neon (2011). The song was written by Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen. "Neon" received positive reviews from critics who praised the production, lyrics and Young's vocal performance. It stopped Young's five consecutive number-one hit run on the US Hot Country Songs chart, peaking at number 23. It also peaked at number 92 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), denoting sales of over 500,000 units in the United States.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song four stars out of five, writing that Young "plays with notes high and low like a cat plays with a ball of yarn, sort of batting them back and forth, always in control." Tara Seetharam of Country Universe gave the song an A- grade, saying that Young's voice "sinks into the groove of the song so effortlessly you’d think he was singing in his sleep, skating around the melody with an appropriate blend of conviction and restraint." Jonathan Keefe of Slant Magazine, reviewing the album, called it a strong track that uses "creative imagery to explain the seductive draw of a bar."
"Neon" debuted at number 54 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of March 31, 2012. It also debuted at number 100 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of August 11, 2012. With a peak of number 23 on the country music charts, it became Young's first single to miss the Number One spot since 2007's "You're Gonna Love Me" peaked at number 48.
|US Billboard Hot 100||92|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||23|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||80|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Conaway, Alanna (April 26, 2012). "Chris Young, 'Neon' – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (February 28, 2012). "Chris Young, 'Neon' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Seetharam, Tara (May 19, 2012). "Single Review: Chris Young, "Neon"". Country Universe. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Keefe, Jonathan (July 12, 2011). "Chris Young: Neon". Slant Magazine. Retrieved August 15, 2015.
- "CMT : Videos : Chris Young : Neon". Country Music Television. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- Wyland, Sarah (May 22, 2012). "Watch Chris Young's "Neon" Video". Great American Country. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Morris, Edward (March 24, 2012). "Taylor Swift's "Ours" Is Week's Most-Played Country Song". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- "Chris Young Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Chris Young Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Chris Young – Neon". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.