|Single by Chris Young|
|from the album A.M.|
|Released||May 13, 2013|
|Chris Young singles chronology|
"Aw Naw" is a song co-written recorded by American country music artist Chris Young. It was released in May 2013 as the first single from his fourth studio album, A.M., which was released on September 17, 2013. The song was written by Young, Chris DeStefano and Ashley Gorley.
The song received positive reviews from critics who praised Young's take on bro-country with strong production and tolerable lyrics. "Aw Naw" peaked at numbers 3 and 4 on the Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs charts respectively. It also charted at number 45 on Hot 100. It was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). It received similar chart success in Canada, peaking at number 5 on the Country chart and number 50 on the Canadian Hot 100. The song was certified Gold by the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA).
The accompanying music video for the song was directed by Chris Hicky and features Young hanging out at a bar behind the beverage door of a convenience store.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song four and a half stars out of five, writing that "this country-rocker is a progressive, creative and well-written leap forward for the ultra-talented singer." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song a favorable review, calling it "a country song that sounds unlike the singer's previous catalog but not so different as to say he's chasing trends."
Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a B- grade, saying that it is "a typical 2013 country party song that is easier to tolerate than most of the others because it's sung really well and at least sounds like it's been written and performed by people of legal drinking age." Jon Freeman of Country Weekly gave the song a C grade, writing that "you’ve heard this particular theme many times before and there’s nothing added to it here, but the earworm chorus is likely to generate spins on your favorite radio station."
The video was directed by Chris Hicky and premiered in June 2013. The video starts with Young and his band members at a convenience store and are attracted by three women. Young follows one of them behind a beverage door and is led to a bar and parties with them. It turns out to be a dream but as Young leaves with his band, the convenience store owner drinks from a skull and crossbones glass shot (implying that it actually happened).
"Aw Naw" debuted at number 54 on the U.S. Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of May 25, 2013. It also debuted at number 32 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of June 8, 2013. It also debuted at number 97 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of August 3, 2013. It also debuted at number 98 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of September 14, 2013. As of December 2013, the song has sold 561,000 copies in the US.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||50|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||45|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||11|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||32|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Dukes, Billy (June 4, 2013). "Chris Young Creatively Reveals Name, Release Date of 2013 New Album". Taste of Country. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Wyland, Sarah (June 7, 2013). "Chris Young Recruits Fans to Announce New Album Details". Great American Country. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Dukes, Billy (April 29, 2013). "Chris Young, 'Aw Naw' – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (April 29, 2013). "Single Review: Chris Young - Aw Naw". Roughstock. Archived from the original on May 4, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Coyne, Kevin John (May 11, 2013). "Single Review: Chris Young, "Aw Naw"". Country Universe. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Freeman, Jon (May 23, 2013). ""Aw Naw" by Chris Young". Country Weekly. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Chris Young : Aw Naw". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Morris, Edward (May 18, 2013). "Lady Antebellum's Golden Cops Top Album Niche". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (December 4, 2013). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - December 4, 2013: Florida Georgia Line Dominate Top 5 & Top 30 Chart". Roughstock.[permanent dead link]
- "Chris Young – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Chris Young.
- "Chris Young – Chart history" Billboard Canada Country for Chris Young.
- "Chris Young – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Chris Young.
- "Chris Young – Chart history" Billboard Country Airplay for Chris Young.
- "Chris Young – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Chris Young.
- "Best of 2013: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Best of 2013: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Canadian single certifications – Chris Young – Aw Naw". Music Canada.
- "American single certifications – Chris Young – Aw Naw". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH