Newport, New York
|Town Supervisor||Michael D. McEvoy (D)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 32.5 square miles (84.2 km²), of which, 32.0 square miles (83.0 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.2 km²) of it (1.45%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,192 people, 831 households, and 595 families residing in the town. The population density was 68.4 people per square mile (26.4/km²). There were 897 housing units at an average density of 28.0 per square mile (10.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.77% White, 0.41% Black or African American, 0.05% Asian, 0.23% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.82% of the population.
There were 831 households out of which 35.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.7% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.3% were non-families. 23.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 89.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,300, and the median income for a family was $42,273. Males had a median income of $30,433 versus $25,391 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,044. About 5.3% of families and 8.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.1% of those under age 18 and 7.8% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in the Town of Newport
- Farrel Corner – A hamlet west of Newport village.
- Irish Settlement – A hamlet near the south town line.
- Martin Corner – A location near the west town line.
- Middleville – Part of the Village of Middleville is on Route 28 by the east town line and the West Canada Creek.
- Newport – The Village of Newport is on Route 28 by the east town line and the West Canada Creek.
- Poland – The south part of the Village of Poland is in the northwest corner of the town.
- Old City – A hamlet at the east town line.
- Welch Corners – A location at the east town line, south of Old City.
- "James Keith House AND Brown-Morev-Davis Farm" (PDF). 1812. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Official Town of Newport, NY, web site
- Early history of Newport, NY (1869)
- The Newport History Center
- Kuyahoora Valley Historical Society