Newton-le-Willows, North Yorkshire
|OS grid reference|
|• London||200 mi (320 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Newton-le-Willows is a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England, 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Bedale. Historically, it is part of the North Riding of Yorkshire and the Wapentake of Hang East.
Newton-le-Willows used to have a railway station on the Wensleydale Railway. The station opened with the Bedale to Leyburn extension of the line in 1856. In 1877 the station was renamed as Jervaulx to avoid confusion with the other Newton-le-Willows railway station near to St Helens. The stations on the line were all closed in 1954, but the one at Jervaulx was used beyond the closure date to transport pupils to and from Aysgarth School on excursions. Whilst the Wensleydale Railway has reopened as a Heritage railway, the station has remained closed.
Aysgarth School is a boarding Preparatory school located 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the south–west of the village. It was founded in 1877 and was originally based near Aysgarth but moved to its current site in 1890.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Newton-le-Willows Parish (1170217176)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Genuki: Patrick Brompton, Yorkshire (North Riding)". www.genuki.org.uk. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Village that's rich in everything that matters". The Yorkshire Post. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- White, William (1840). History, gazetteer, and directory, of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire. Sheffield: W White. p. 574. OCLC 319907952.
- Body, Geoffrey (1989). Railways of the Eastern Region. Wellingborough: Stephens. p. 136. ISBN 1-85260-072-1.
- Suggitt, Gordon (2005). Lost railways of North and East Yorkshire. Newbury: Countryside Books. p. 55. ISBN 978-1-85306-918-5.
- Young, Alan (2015). Lost Stations of Yorkshire; the North and East Ridings. Kettering: Silver Link. p. 86. ISBN 978-1-85794-453-2.
- "History of the School". Aysgarth School. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Aysgarth School. Edubase. Retrieved 28 December 2016
Media related to Newton-le-Willows, North Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Richmondshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|