|Written by||Geoffrey Nauffts|
|Date premiered||February 16, 2010|
|Place premiered||Peter Jay Sharp Theater
New York City
|Subject||Religion, Homosexuality, Coping and Loss|
Next Fall is a play written by Geoffrey Nauffts. The play is about two gay men in a committed relationship with a twist, with one, Luke, being devoutly religious and the other, Adam, an atheist. The play revolves around their five-year relationship and how they make it work despite their differences. However, when an accident changes everything, Adam must turn to Luke's family for support and answers. The play, directed by Sheryl Kaller, opened off-Broadway in 2009 before transferring to the Helen Hayes Theater in February, 2010.
Next Fall, produced by Naked Angels, began performances Off-Broadway at the Peter Jay Sharp Theatre on May 26, 2009 and opened to positive reviews June 3, 2009. The sold-out production, which was to close June 21, 2009, resulted in three extensions through Aug. 8, 2009. The cast for the off-Broadway production included Patrick Breen as Adam, Patrick Heusinger as Luke, Maddie Corman as Holly, Sean Dugan as Brandon, Connie Ray as Arlene, and Cotter Smith as Butch.
The off-Broadway production transferred to the Helen Hayes Theatre on Broadway. Previews began February 16, 2010 and the play officially opened on March 11, 2010. The entire off-Broadway cast replicated their roles on Broadway as did director Sheryl Kaller and associate director Joe Langworth.
Among its positive reviews, the show was named "the little play that could" by New York theater critic David Cote. It closed on July 4, 2010 after 26 previews and 132 regular performances.
The UK premiere of Next Fall was produced by James Quaife Productions staged at the Southwark Playhouse from 24 September until 25 October 2014. The cast featured Charlie Condou, Nancy Crane, Ben Cura, Martin Delaney, Mitchell Mullen and Sirine Saba. The play was directed by Luke Sheppard with design by David Woodhead, Lighting design by Howard Hudson, Sound design by David Gregory and casting by Sophie Parrott.
Luke believes in God. Adam believes in everything else. "Next Fall" portrays the ups and downs of this unlikely couple’s five-year relationship with sharp humor and unflinching honesty. And when an accident changes everything, Adam must turn to Luke’s family and friends for support… and answers. "Next Fall" paints a beautiful and funny portrait of modern romance, asking the hard questions about commitment, love, and faith.
Original Broadway cast
- Patrick Breen as Adam
- Patrick Heusinger as Luke
- Maddie Corman as Holly
- Sean Dugan as Brandon
- Connie Ray as Arlene
- Cotter Smith as Butch.
Awards and nominations
- 2010 Drama Desk Awards
- Outstanding Play (nominated)
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play - Sean Dugan (nominated)
- 2010 Tony Awards
- Best Play (nominated)
- Best Direction of a Play - Sheryl Kaller (nominated)
- Outstanding New Broadway Play (nominated)
- John Gassner Award - Geoffrey Nauffts (winner)
- Best Actor in a Play - Josh Rhett Noble
- Best Actress in a Play - Elizabeth Casalini
- Best Direction of a Play - Jennifer Jones
- Hetrick, Adam."Nauffts' 'Next Fall' Extends for Third Time, Now Through Aug. 8" playbill.com, July 6, 2009]
- Jones, Kenneth."'Next Fall', Tragicomic Look at a Modern Odd Couple, Begins Broadway Run" February 16, 2010
- Brantley, Ben."Love With a Proper Atheist and Other Leaps of Faith"The New York Times, June 4, 2009
- Gans, Andrew. "Memphis, La Cage, Zeta-Jones, Finneran and More Are Outer Critics Circle Award Winners" playbill.com, May 17, 2010
- Coverage, BWW Special. "2013 BroadwayWorld Orlando Awards Winners Announced - StarStruck Theatre Wins Big!". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2016-01-23.