Life and career
Nicky Harman taught on the MSc in Translation at Imperial College London until 2011, and has been a full-time literary translator since then. She focuses on fiction, poetry and occasionally literary non-fiction, by authors such as Chen Xiwo, Han Dong, Hong Ying, Dorothy Tse, Xinran, Yan Geling and Zhang Ling. She has been a contributor to the literary magazines Chutzpah, and Words Without Borders, and also organizes translation-focused events, mentors new translators and was one of the judges for the Harvill Secker Young Translators Prize 2012, and for the White Rose Centre Leeds University Chinese-to-English Translation Prize, 2015 and 2016. She is also a contributor to the website Paper Republic, and founded the China Fiction Book Club in 2010. She is currently Co-Chair of the Translators' Association of the Society of Authors. From June 2015-June 2016, she, along with Eric Abrahamsen, Dave Haysom and Helen Wang, is running the READ PAPER REPUBLIC  project, posting and promoting a free-to-view short story every week for a year.
Awards and honors
- Longlisted for the FT/Oppenheimer Funds Emerging Voices Awards 2016, with Xu Xiaobin's Crystal Wedding.
- Winner of the Mao Tai Cup People's Literature Chinese-English translation prize 2015. Link here: [in Chinese]
- Longlisted for the 2015 Best Translated Book Award Fiction BTBA Longlist, with Dorothy Tse's Snow and Shadow.
- Winner of first prize in the 2013 China International Translation Contest, Chinese-to-English section, with Jia Pingwa’s "Backflow River" (贾平凹: 《倒流河》)
- Won a PEN Translation Fund Award (2006) for her translation of Banished! by Han Dong, which was subsequently long-listed for the Man Asian Literary Prize 2008.
- Chan Koon-chung: The Unbearable Dreamworld of Champa the Driver (2014)
- Han Dong: Banished! (2009)
- Hong Ying: K – The Art of Love (2002)
- Xu Xiaobin: Crystal Wedding, Balestier Press, (2016) (awarded a PEN Translates grant)
- Yan Geling: Flowers of Nanjing (2012)
- Zhang Ling: Gold Mountain Blues (2012)
- Yan Ge: The Chilli Bean Paste Clan, Balestier Press, (2018) (English PEN Translates Award)
Collections of short stories
- Chen Xiwo: The Book of Sins (2014)
- Dorothy Tse: Snow and Shadow (2014)
Short stories and novellas
- Bai Hua: The Eye of the Eagle
- Anni Baobei: Goodbye to Anne (2012)
- Chen Xiwo: The Man with the Knife (2012)
- Ding Liying: Family Secrets (2012)
- Han Dong: A Tabby-Cat’s Tale (2014)
- Han Dong: This Moron is Dead (2012)
- Jia Pingwa: Backflow River (2016)
- Sun Yisheng: The Stone Ox that Grazed (2014)
- Sun Yisheng: Dad, Your Name is Bao Tian (2013)
- Sun Yisheng: The Shades who Periscope through Flowers to the Sky (2012)
- Dorothy Tse: Woman Fish (2013)
- Dorothy Tse: January:Bridges, READ PAPER REPUBLIC. The translation and editing of this story is discussed and illustrated here: Free Word Centre.
- Xu Zechen: Throwing Out the Baby (2012)
- Xue Mo: Old Man Xinjiang (2012)
- Yan Ge: White Horse (2014)
- Yan Ge: Sissy Zhong, READ PAPER REPUBLIC
Collections of poetry
- A Loud Noise, poems by Han Dong (2014)
- A Phone Call from Dalian: Selected Poems by Han Dong (2012)
- Xu Zhiyuan: Paper Tiger, essays, co-translated with Michelle Deeter, Head of Zeus, (2015) (awarded a PEN Translates grant).
- Cao Jinqing: China Along the Yellow River (2004)
- Deng Yingtao: A New Development Model and China’s Future (2014)
- Leung Man-tao: Urban Control and the Modernist City (2013)
- Xinran: Message from Unknown Chinese Mothers (2010)
- Xinran: China Witness (2008) - co-translator with Esther Tyldesley and Julia Lovell