|Alma mater||University College London|
|Relatives||Cedric Belfrage, father|
Bruce Belfrage, uncle
Sally Belfrage, sister
Julian Belfrage, first cousin
Bryan Powley, great uncle
Belfrage was born in Los Angeles in 1940, the son of British socialist writer Cedric Belfrage and his wife Molly Castle. He grew up in New York and London, and studied French and Italian at University College London. He has worked with Italian wine, either in the trade or as a writer, since the early 1970s and qualified as a Master of Wine in 1980, the first American to achieve this honor.
Belfrage has contributed to publications such as Decanter, The World of Fine Wine, Wein Gourmet, and shared a column in Harpers Magazine with Franco Ziliani, with whom he has also collaborated on contributions to Tom Stevenson's annual Wine Report. For several years he has contributed the Italy section to Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book as well as to the Oz Clarke Pocket Wine Book.
Belfrage has been involved commercially in wine since the early 1970s as buyer for various specialist wine merchants. In 1996 he founded Vinexus, a specialist Italian wine importer.
- Life Beyond Lambrusco (1985)
- Barolo to Valpolicella: The Wines of Northern Italy (1999)
- Brunello to Zibibbo: The Wines of Tuscany, Central and Southern Italy (2001)
- The Finest Wines of Tuscany and Central Italy (2009)
- "Nicolas Belfrage MW". www.mastersofwine.org. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- Robinson, Jancis, jancisrobinson.com (1 October 2005). "Italian wine in the doldrums..."
- "The Wine Society". www.thewinesociety.com. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Fowler, Glenn (22 June 1990). "Cedric Belfrage, 85, Target of Communist Inquiry". Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Nicolas Belfrage MW - Chateau Monty". Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "The Finest Wines of Tuscany and Central Italy". Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via www.ucpress.edu.
- Belfrage, Nicolas; Ziliani, Franco, Harpers (24 October 2005). "In defence of our column". Archived from the original on 2 December 2010.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- McCarthy, Ed; Ewing-Mulligan, Mary (2 November 2015). "Wine For Dummies". John Wiley & Sons. Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via Google Books.
- "Who we are". Vinexus Ltd. :: The Italian wine specialists. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "Ancestry® - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History Records". www.ancestry.co.uk. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- Belfrage, Nicolas; Robinson, Jancis (22 June 1985). "Life beyond Lambrusco: understanding Italian fine wine". Sidgwick & Jackson. Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via Open WorldCat.
- Belfrage, Nicolas (22 June 2019). "Barolo to Valpolicella: the wines of northern Italy". Mitchell Beazley. Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via Open WorldCat.
- Belfrage, Nicolas (22 June 2019). "Brunello to Zibibbo: the wines of Tuscany, Central and Southern Italy". Mitchell Beazley. Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via Open WorldCat.
- Belfrage, Nicolas; Wyand, Jon; Fine Wine Editions (22 June 2019). "The finest wines of Tuscany and Central Italy: a regional and village guide to the best wines and their producers". University of California Press. Retrieved 22 June 2019 – via Open WorldCat.