Nicolas Véron is a French economist. He is a Senior Fellow at Bruegel in Brussels, which he co-founded in 2002-05, and a Visiting Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington DC. In 2012, he was included in the global 50 Most Influential list of Bloomberg Markets Magazine.
Research and career
Véron cofounded Bruegel together with Jean Pisani-Ferry, starting in late 2002. Before then, he had been a French civil servant, including as the corporate advisor to Labor Minister Martine Aubry in 1997–2000, and the Chief Financial Officer of MultiMania / Lycos France, a publicly listed French Internet company, in 2000–2002. He is an alumnus of École Polytechnique and École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris.
His research focuses on banking and financial regulation, including in recent years European Banking union. He has testified before the US Senate, the European Parliament, the UK House of Lords, the Portuguese National Assembly, and the Italian Parliament.
In addition to his work for Bruegel and the Peterson Institute, he became an independent board member of the derivatives arm (Global Trade Repository) of DTCC in July 2013. From 2014 to 2016 he was also a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of AMF, France's securities regulator.
- L'Architecture des villes, with Ricardo Bofill (Odile Jacob Publisher, 1995 – ISBN 2-7381-0304-9)
- Smoke & Mirrors, Inc.: Accounting for Capitalism, with Matthieu Autret and Alfred Galichon (Cornell University Press, 2006 – ISBN 978-0-8014-4416-6)
- The Global Accounting Experiment (Bruegel, 2007 – ISBN 978-90-78910-02-2)
- Le grand dérèglement – Chroniques du capitalisme financier (Lignes de Repères, 2009 – ISBN 978-2-915752-46-5)
- Transatlantic Economic Challenges in an Era of Growing Multipolarity, co-editor with Jacob Funk Kirkegaard and Guntram Wolff (Peterson Institute for International Economics, 2012 – ISBN 978-0-88132-645-1)
- L'Union bancaire, un succès européen (En Temps Réel, 2014 – ISBN 978-2-915897-85-2)
- Europe's Radical Banking Union (Bruegel, 2015 - ISBN 978-90-78910-37-4)
- European Banking Supervision: The First Eighteen Months, co-edited with Dirk Schoenmaker (Bruegel, 2016 - ISBN 978-90-78910-41-1)
- Bloomberg Markets (September 5, 2012). "Bloomberg Markets' 50 Most Influential". Bloomberg Business.
- "The European Debt and Financial Crisis: Origins, Options, and Implications of the US and Global Economy". U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. September 22, 2011.
- "The Future of the Eurozone: Outlook and Lessons". U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. August 1, 2012.
- "About the AMF's Scientific Advisory Board". Autorité des marchés financiers. January 3, 2014.