The neutrality of this article is disputed. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nieca Goldberg (born October 21, 1957) is an American physician and author. Her specialty is as a cardiologist. The American College of Cardiology describes Goldberg as a "clinical innovator" and "a nationally recognized pioneer in women’s heart health".
Early life and education
Goldberg decided to become a cardiologist because her father suffered from heart disease while she was in high school. Goldberg is a graduate of SUNY Downstate Medical Center. She did her medical residency at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center and a cardiology fellowship at SUNY Downstate. During her time in medical school, she was dismayed to find out that "all medical care was based on what was normal for a 165-pound man".
Goldberg is the Medical Director at the Joan H. Tisch Center for Women’s Health at the NYU Langone Medical Center which opened in 2011. Goldberg was previously Chief of the Women’s Heart Program at Lenox Hill Hospital which at the time was the first program of its kind in New York City. She was the founder of Total Heart Care in New York, which focuses on women's health care. Goldberg is a Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the NYU School of Medicine.
Advocate for women’s heart health
During Goldberg's early training as a doctor, she observed that many women were not being properly diagnosed in regards to heart diseases. Goldberg also discusses how women often neglect their own health in favor of focusing on their family's health issues.
Goldberg is a national spokesperson for the American Heart Association and has been in the forefront of the AHA "Go Red for Women" campaign. Goldberg’s involvement as a leadership volunteer with not-for profit organizations concerned with women’s health also includes: co-medical director of the 92nd Street Y Cardio Rehab Program, membership on the Board of Directors of the Society for Women’s Health Research (2015–Present) and as a member of the Woman’s Day Editorial Advisory Board.
Goldberg was part of General Mills’ cereal promotion that featured her likeness with a public service message on 3,000,000 boxes of Wheat Chex and MultiGrain Chex in 2004. She has also been recognized by the American Heart Association’s "Dr. with Heart Award", Woman’s Day magazine’s "Red Dress Award" in 2005, Jewish Women International’s "Women to Watch" Award, and "The Women at Heart" 2006 Honoree Award from the Links Greater New York Chapter.
Goldberg wrote Women are Not Small Men: Life-Saving Strategies for Preventing and Healing Heart Disease in Women in order to combat misinformation and ignorance about women's cardiovascular health. It was updated later and retitled The Women’s Healthy Heart Program – Lifesaving Strategies for Preventing and Healing Heart Disease.
- "Nieca Goldberg, MD: Pioneer in Women's Cardiovascular Health". American College of Cardiology. March 15, 2015. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Peerenboom, Jean (1 May 2006). "Doctor Urges Good Heart Health". Green Bay Press-Gazette. p. B1. Retrieved 2018-07-27 – via Newspapers.com. and "Heart/Eating Good, Exercising Can Reduce Risk, She Says". Green Bay Press-Gazette. 1 May 2006. p. B3. Retrieved 2018-07-27 – via Newspapers.com.
- Langone, John (12 February 2002). "BOOKS ON HEALTH; Closing the Gap on Heart Risk for Women". New York Times. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Physicians Call for Emphasis on Women's Health". Medical Marketing & Media. 50 (5): 22. May 2015 – via EBSCOhost. (Subscription required (help)).
- Pearson, Erica (16 July 2013). "New York's best hospitals: NYU Langone Medical Center treats women right". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Bernard, Sarah (7 June 1999). "Dr. Nieca Goldberg: Deep in the Heart". New York Magazine. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Nieca Goldberg, M.D., Alice Greenwood, Ph.D". Baker & Taylor Author Biographies. January 2000 – via EBSCOhost. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Living (Well) with Heart Disease: 92Y's Cardiac Rehab Program" (PDF). 92Y.org. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Board of Directors". Society for Women's Health Research. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "The Society for Women's Health Research Announces Three New Board Members". Society for Women's Health Research. August 17, 2015. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Mundell, E.J. (26 October 2004). "Heart Doctor Is Next Cereal Box Celebrity". HealthDay. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Red Dress Award Winners Through the Years". Woman's Day. 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "'Educate, Enable, Enlist and Explore - How to Improve the Health of Women' Public Workshop" (PDF). FDA.gov. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Schneider, Janet M. (December 2001). "Women Are Not Small Men (Book)". Library Journal. 126 (20): 158 – via EBSCOhost. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Nieca Goldberg, MD". Healthy Women. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Nonfiction Book Review: Dr. Nieca Goldberg's Complete Guide to Women's Health". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2018-07-27.