Night of Knives
|Author||Ian Cameron Esslemont|
|Series||Novels of the Malazan Empire|
|Publisher||Bantam Books (UK & Canada) & Tor Books (USA)|
|1 September 2004|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Pages||304 pp (Bantam UK hardcover edition)|
|ISBN||0-593-05781-3 (Bantam hardcover edition) & ISBN 0-765-32371-0 (Tor paperback edition)|
|Followed by||Return of the Crimson Guard|
Night of Knives is the first novel of the Novels of the Malazan Empire series by Canadian author Ian Esslemont, set after the prologue, but before the main body of Gardens of the Moon, the first novel in the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Night of Knives takes place in the 24 hours leading up to the night of the Shadow Moon, a night on which a prophecy promises the return of the Emperor. Kiska is a young and enterprising girl who knows the Malaz City inside out and yearns to escape the dreary island and into the Malazan military. On the other hand, Temper, former bodyguard to Dassem Ultor, the legendary First Sword of the Empire, wants to stay beyond notice of the powers now converging on the city. In the city, the mages of Malaz, much reduced since the cull, now face an almost impossible task as an ancient power draws close.
- Thompson, Robert (2007). ""Night of Knives" by Ian Cameron Esslemont". Fantasy Book Critic. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Cilli, Dominic (2009). "Night of Knives: A Novel of the Malazan Empire". SfSite.com. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Night of Knives (Malazan Empire #1)". Goodreads. 2007. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Night of Knives title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Night of Knives at the Internet Book List
|This article about a 2000s fantasy novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.