Nikolai Chebotaryov (to the left) with students
15 June 1894|
Kamianets-Podilskyi, Russian Empire (modern-day Ukraine)
|Died||2 July 1947
Moscow, Soviet Union
|Institutions||Kazan State University|
|Alma mater||Kiev State University|
|Doctoral advisor||Dmitry Grave|
|Doctoral students||Petr Kontorovich
|Known for||Chebotarev's density theorem|
Nikolai Grigorievich Chebotaryov (often spelled Chebotarov or Chebotarev, Russian: Никола́й Григо́рьевич Чеботарёв, Ukrainian: Микола Григорович Чоботарьов) (15 June [O.S. 3 June] 1894 – 2 July 1947) was a noted Russian and Soviet mathematician. He is best known for the Chebotaryov density theorem.
He was a student of Dmitry Grave, a famous Ukrainian and Russian mathematician. Chebotaryov worked on the algebra of polynomials, in particular examining the distribution of the zeros. He also studied Galois theory and wrote an influential textbook on the subject titled Basic Galois Theory. His ideas were used by Emil Artin to prove the Artin reciprocity law He worked with his student Anatoly Dorodnov on a generalization of the quadrature of the lune, and solved a conjecture which is now known as the Chebotaryov theorem on roots of unity
Nikolai Chebotaryov was born on the 15 of June 1894 at 15 June 1894 Kamianets-Podilskyi, Russian Empire (modern-day Ukraine). He entered the department of physics and mathematics at Kiev University in 1912. In 1928 he became a professor at Kazan University and would remain there for the rest of his life. He died on the second of July in 1917. He was an atheist. On May 14, 2010, a memorial plaque for Nikolai Chebotaryov was unveiled on the main administration building of I.I. Mechnikov Odessa National University.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Nikolai Grigorievich Chebotaryov", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews..
- Lenstra, H. W.; Stevenhagen, P. (1996), "Chebotarëv and his density theorem" (PDF), Mathematical Intelligencer, 18 (2): 26–37, doi:10.1007/BF03027290.
- Nikolay Grigorievich Chebotarev at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Postnikov, M. M. (2000), "The problem of squarable lunes", American Mathematical Monthly, 107 (7): 645–651, doi:10.2307/2589121, JSTOR 2589121. Translated from Postnikov's 1963 Russian book on Galois theory
- "Chebotaryov, Nikolai Grigorievich." Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography. 2008 - http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-2830900875.html
|This article about a Russian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|