Nina's Hair Parlour
Nina Butkovich-Budden, a Croatian national began specialising in vintage hair while working at the Cut and Clipper, a small salon on The Cut, Waterloo. Butkovich-Budden quickly established media interest, which in turn generated more customers. Eventually larger premises were need as the small salon could no longer cope with demand.
Butkovich-Budden teamed up with the makeup artist Issidora, in June 2008 and the pair opened a bigger salon in Alfie's Antique Market in Marylebone. The salon's interior was designed to emulate the salons of the 1950s, with original chair mounted hairdryers and pistachio coloured walls. Home to a small hair and makeup museum, it was often hired for filming and fashion photo shoots. Nina and Issidora work closely with hair and makeup brands Oribe and Cosmetics à La Carte.
Butkovich-Budden was interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour alongside Nicky Clarke and her entire team appeared on the BBC's Children In Need show Celebrity Scissorhands alongside Lee Stafford and late Steve Strange, as vintage hair and makeup experts.
Issidora and Butkovich-Budden were instrumental in integration of freelance fashion industry makeup and hair artists into the BECTU union. After a two year long campaign and contribution from the freelancers across United Kingdom, rate card was published for the first time on the BECTU website in November 2015.
They continue to work on BBC documentary programs creating makeup and hair styling.
- Stone, Amy (2008-10-23) "Heads Up" VOGUE
- Robinson, Kirsty (2010-09-12) "How to...get a grown-up vintage look" Daily Mail
- Fontana, Ornella (2008-07-24) "A Londra, per sentirti B.B" Elle Italy
- Williams, Sally (2011-04-20) "Royal weddings: the souvenir collectors" The Telegraph
- Cooper, Leonie (2007-06-27), "Who Doesn't Want to Look Like Marilyn?", The Guardian
- Time Out London (2011-07-18) "Time Out Says"
- McGarry, Joanna (2009-04-05) "Beauty burlesque style" The Sunday Times
- Little, Jane (2007-07-20), "The Return of the Beehive", Woman's Hour, BBC, retrieved 2008-12-28
- "Rates » Hair & Make-Up". BECTU.