Ninja III: The Domination
|Ninja III: The Domination|
|Directed by||Sam Firstenberg|
|Written by||James R. Silke|
|Edited by||Michael J. Duthie|
|Distributed by||MGM/UA Entertainment Co.|
|September 14, 1984|
Ninja III: The Domination is a 1984 American martial arts action horror film directed by Sam Firstenberg, and stars Sho Kosugi, Lucinda Dickey, Jordan Bennett, and James Hong. It is the third film in Cannon Films' Ninja Trilogy anthology series, the first being Enter the Ninja, and the second being Revenge of the Ninja. Like the previous films in the series, it has also garnered a cult following.
Christie Ryder (Dickey), a telephone linewoman and aerobics instructor, is possessed by the evil spirit of a fallen ninja warrior Hanjuro when coming to his aid. The spirit uses her body to carry out his revenge on the police officers who killed him. One of them is Billy Secord (Bennett), who catches Christie's eye yet cannot explain her preoccupation with Japanese culture nor help her with her sudden blackouts. Out of options, they turn to a Japanese exorcist Miyashima (Hong), who manages to summon the ninja within her. The exorcist reveals he cannot force the spirit out of Christie, but that "only a ninja can destroy a ninja". Christie and Billy are forced to seek the aid of Goro Yamada (Kosugi), a ninja hunting the assassin within her for killing his clan. The three force the ninja out in a dangerous gambit that results in the spirit repossessing his own dead body and fighting Yamada to a fight to the death, finally freeing all three of the curse of the black ninja.
- Sho Kosugi as Goro Yamada
- Lucinda Dickey as Christie Ryder
- Jordan Bennett as Billy Secord
- James Hong as Miyashima
- David Chung as Black Ninja Hanjuro
- Dale Ishimoto as Okuda
- John LaMotta as Case
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 44% based on 9 reviews, with an average rating of 3.62/10. On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 25 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
The film was released on Blu-ray in the U.K. in 2016 by Eureka Video.
Scream Factory re-released the film in a Collector's Edition Blu-ray set on June 12, 2018 with a new transfer and additional supplemental materials.
- "Ninjas score big, but viewers are on the losing end". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, Illinois. 22 September 1984. p. 29. Retrieved 12 September 2014 – via Newspapers.com.
- Ninja III: The Domination at Box Office Mojo
- "Ninja III: The Domination (1984)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- "Ninja III: The Domination (1984) reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved April 4, 2020.
- "Ninja III: The Domination | Blu-ray & DVD (Shout! Factory) | cityonfire.com".
- "Ninja III: The Domination [Collector's Edition] - Blu-ray :: Shout! Factory".