No, David!, written and illustrated by David Shannon, is a 1998 childrens book published by Scholastic Inc.No David! (1998) was named as a Caldecott Honor Book, an ALA Notable Children's Book, a Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Blue Ribbon title, a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, and was on the New York Times Best Illustrated Book list.
When the author David Shannon was five years old he wrote a story about a little boy that broke all his mothers rules, leaving her to always say No David. In 1997 after years of his mother having the book saved in her closet, Shannon came across his childhood book and decided to re-write it. He included drawings of the moments he will get told off by his mother and included a child like handwriting to go along with it. "No David" turned out to be a huge hit for children and even parents, winning the Caldecott Medal in 1999.
- David Goes To School (1999)
- David Gets In Trouble (2002)
- David Smells! (2005)
- Oh, David! (2005)
- Oops! (2005)
- It's Christmas, David! (2010)
Based on a 2007 online poll, the National Education Association named the book one of its "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children." It was one of the "Top 100 Picture Books" of all time in a 2012 poll by School Library Journal.
- Association for Library Service to Children. "Caldecott Medal & Honor Books, 1938-Present". American Library Association. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- National Education Association (2007). "Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children". Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Bird, Elizabeth (July 6, 2012). "Top 100 Picture Books Poll Results". School Library Journal "A Fuse #8 Production" blog. Retrieved August 22, 2012.