North Cornwall by-election, 1939
The seat had become vacant when the constituency's Liberal Member of Parliament (MP), the Rt Hon. Sir Francis Dyke Acland, Bt. died. Acland was first elected for this seat in the North Cornwall by-election, 1932 and retained it until his death.
|Liberal||Sir Francis Dyke Acland||16,872||51.3||-1.1|
|Conservative||Edward Robin Whitehouse||16,036||48.7||+1.1|
|Liberal hold||Swing||+1.1 (L to C)|
- Note on 1935 result: Change and swing are calculated from the result of the by-election on 22 July 1932.
The Liberal Party candidate was Thomas Lewis Horabin (1896 – 26 April 1956). He was a business consultant with no local ties and no track record as an election candidate. He was a close friend of John Foot, the influential Liberal candidate for neighbouring Bodmin. The Conservative candidate was E.R. Whitehouse. He had previously contested the seat at the United Kingdom general election, 1935. The local Labour party had already selected D.C.N. Wakley to contest the forthcoming General Election. However, Labour party Headquarters successfully put pressure on the local Labour party to withdraw their candidate. The action of the Labour HQ was a clear indication of a desire to electorally co-operate with the Liberal party at a forthcoming General Election, along the lines of a Popular Front.
The by-election took place shortly before the start of the Second World War.
|Liberal||Thomas Lewis Horabin||17,072||52.2||+0.9|
|Conservative||Edward Robin Whitehouse||15,608||47.8||-0.9|
|Liberal hold||Swing||-0.9 (L to C)|
|Liberal||Thomas Lewis Horabin||18,836|
|Independent Labour||J.H. Worrall||626|
Tom Horabin was the Liberal Party Chief Whip from August 1945 until he resigned and left the party in October 1946. He continued to represent North Cornwall until the 1950 general election, first as an Independent and then as a Labour MP from November 1947. In 1950 Horabin contested Exeter, but did not return to the House of Commons.
- North Cornwall by-election, 1932
- North Cornwall constituency
- List of United Kingdom by-elections (1931–1950)
- United Kingdom by-election records
- British Parliamentary Election Results 1918-1949, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Macmillan Press 1977)
- British Parliamentary Election Results 1950-1973, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Research Services 1983)
- Who's Who of British Members of Parliament, Volume III 1919-1945, edited by M. Stenton and S. Lees (Harvester Press 1979)
- Who's Who of British Members of Parliament, Volume IV 1945-1979, edited by M. Stenton and S. Lees (Harvester Press 1981)