North Shore (Oahu)
The largest settlement is Haleʻiwa. This area is best known for its massive waves, attracting surfers from all around the globe.
The northern hemisphere winter months on the North Shore see a concentration of surfing activity, taking advantage of swells originating in the stormy North Pacific. Notable surfing spots include Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach.
The spot of Ehukai Beach, commonly known as the Banzai Pipeline, is the most notable surfing spot on the North Shore, and is considered a prime spot for competitions due to its close proximity to the beach, giving spectators, judges, and photographers a great view.
The North Shore is considered to be the surfing mecca of the world, and every December hosts three competitions, which make up the Triple Crown of Surfing. The three men's competitions are the Reef Hawaiian Pro, the O'Neill World Cup of Surfing, and the Billabong Pipeline Masters. The three women's competitions are the Reef Hawaiian Pro, the Roxy Pro Sunset, and the Billabong Pro on the neighboring island of Maui.
Waimea Bay plays host to the Quiksilver Big Wave Invitational in Memory of Eddie Aikau. This is an exclusive competition and participants must be invited. The competitions has a scheduled window of dates each winter, however the competition has a minimum requirement of 20-foot (6.1 m) waves. Therefore, the competition is not held every year.
Learning to surf
Although the North Shore is known for its large winter surf, there are a number of surf schools that can teach a beginner the basics of surfing in coves that are protected from the larger waves.
Television and film
Due to its natural environment, proximity to Honolulu, and large waves, the North Shore is a popular area for filming.
The North Shore was also the setting for the movies Ride the Wild Surf, North Shore, Blue Crush, The Big Bounce, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, as well as being fictionalized for the animated film Surf's Up.
The North Shore only houses one large commercial hotel, the Turtle Bay Resort, which also has 2 world-class golf courses. Other accommodations are available in privately run condos, house rentals, and a youth hostel.
Floods and beach erosion
The high surf during the winter months regularly causes floodings along the North Shore, which lead to a temporary closure of Kamehameha Highway and erosion of some beaches, including a toll on oceanfront homes.
- Rochelle Ballard, professional surfer
- Owl Chapman, surfer
- Darrick Doerner, surfer
- Jim Evans, artist
- John John Florence, professional surfer
- Brian Grazer, Oscar-winning film and television producer
- Bruce Irons, professional surfer
- Jack Johnson, folk rock singer-songwriter
- Samuel Kamakau, historian
- Clark Little, photographer
- Jamie O'Brien, professional surfer
- Frederick Patacchia, professional surfer
- Konny Reimann (de), German reality TV star
- Makua Rothman, professional surfer
- Paul Theroux, American travel writer and novelist
- Butch Van Artsdalen, surfer
- "2012 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing hydrated by vitaminwater". Triplecrownofsurfing.com. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
- Extreme surf Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Tom Austin (July 2006). "Surfing Oahu's North Shore; Oahu's North Shore Scene". Travel + Leisure. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Die Reimanns. TV episode guide. Retrieved 8 June 2017
- "Theroux: No Place Like Home". CBS: Sunday Morning. August 3, 2001. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for North Shore (Oahu).|
- Oʻahu North Shore, Be Our Guest Directory
- Oʻahu Surf Conditions, Radar, and Forecasts
- 'Life Among The Swells': William Finnegan from Outside magazine gives a detailed insight into the professional surfing world on the North Shore of Oʻahu.
- Oʻahu North Shore Chamber of Commerce
- "The Drive-By Coast." Hana Hou! Vol. 10, No. 2 (April/May 2007 issue; 7 pages). Article by Curt Sanburn, photographs by Dana Edmunds.