Northern Collegiate Hockey Association
|Northern Collegiate Hockey Association|
|Sports fielded||Ice hockey (men's: 10 teams; women's: 7 teams)|
|Region||Midwestern United States|
|Commissioner||G. Steven Larson (since 2013)|
The Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) is a college athletic conference which operates in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in the midwestern United States. It participates in the NCAA's Division III as a hockey-only conference.
In the summer of 2012, the five schools in the University of Wisconsin System announced that they would leave the conference to begin playing hockey in their all-sports conference, the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The move would have left only two men's teams in the NCHA, leading St. Norbert and St. Scholastica to join the Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association (MCHA). In April 2013, the NCHA and MCHA announced a merger, where the NCHA would absorb the MCHA's teams (of the MCHA's 10 schools, all 7 who also sponsored women's hockey played in the NCHA). The men's and women's sides will retain separate administrative structures, as well as their automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament.
|School||Location||Nickname||Founded||Affiliation||Teams||Year Joined||Year Left||Subsequent
|Bemidji State University||Bemidji, Minnesota||Beavers||1919||Public||Men||Men: 1981||Men: 1999||CHA (D-I)||WCHA (D-I)|
|Minnesota State University, Mankato||Mankato, Minnesota||Mavericks||1868||Public||Men||Men: 1981||Men: 1992||D-II Independent||WCHA (D-I)|
|St. Cloud State University||St. Cloud, Minnesota||Huskies||1868||Public||Men||Men: 1981||Men: 1987||D-I Independent||NCHC (D-I)|
|University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire||Eau Claire, Wisconsin||Blugolds||1916||Public||Both||Men: 1981
|University of Wisconsin–River Falls||River Falls, Wisconsin||Falcons||1874||Public||Both||Men: 1981
|University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point||Stevens Point, Wisconsin||Pointers||1894||Public||Both||Men: 1987
|University of Wisconsin–Stout||Menomonie, Wisconsin||Blue Devils||1891||Public||Both||Men: 1996||Men: 2013||WIAC|
|University of Wisconsin–Superior||Superior, Wisconsin||Yellowjackets||1893||Public||Both||Men: 1981
|1986–87||St. Cloud State
|1987–88||UW–River Falls||UW–River Falls^|
|1988–89||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point^|
|1989–90||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point^|
|1991–92||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point|
|1992–93||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point^|
|1994–95||Bemidji State||Bemidji State|
|1995–96||UW–River Falls||UW–River Falls|
|1997–98||St. Norbert||St. Norbert|
|1998–99||St. Norbert||St. Norbert|
|2002–03||St. Norbert||St. Norbert|
|2003–04||St. Norbert||St. Norbert|
|2004–05||St. Norbert||St. Norbert|
|2007–08||St. Norbert||St. Norbert^|
|2009–10||St. Norbert||St. Norbert|
|2010–11||St. Norbert||St. Norbert^|
|2011–12||St. Norbert||St. Norbert^|
|2012–13||UW–Eau Claire||St. Norbert|
|2013-14||St. Norbert||St. Norbert^|
|2001–02||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point|
|2002–03||UW–River Falls||UW–River Falls|
|2004–05||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point|
|2005–06||UW–Stevens Point||UW–Stevens Point|
|2008–09||UW–River Falls||UW–River Falls|
|2009–10||Lake Forest||UW–River Falls|
|2011–12||UW–River Falls||UW–River Falls|
|2012–13||UW–River Falls||St. Norbert|
|2013–14||Lake Forest||Lake Forest|
^ Won National Championship
|Adrian||Arrington Ice Arena||500|
|Concordia Wisconsin||Ozaukee Ice Center||1,000|
|Finlandia||Houghton County Arena|
|Lake Forest||Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse||1,000|
|Lawrence||Appleton Family Ice Center||1,200|
|Marian||Blue Line Family Ice Center||2,000|
|Milwaukee Engineering||Kern Center||800|
|Northland||Bay Area Civic Center||1,000|
|St. Norbert||Cornerstone Community Center||2,000|
|St. Scholastica||Mars Lakeview Arena||1,500|
- "A History of the NCHA". Northern Collegiate Hockey Association. Archived from the original on May 22, 2013. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- Hodkiewicz, Weston (February 15, 2012). "Wisconsin state schools’ move away from NCHA ‘a shock to the system,’ St. Norbert coach says". USCHO.com. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Staff (April 24, 2012). "WIAC schools to leave NCHA after 2012-13 season". USCHO.com. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Staff (June 20, 2012). "St. Norbert, St. Scholastica moving to MCHA for 2013-14 season". USCHO.com. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Carito, Katie (April 24, 2013). "NCHA is reborn". USCHO.com. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "MCHA Renamed NCHA | New Structure Approved". Press release. Northern Collegiate Hockey Association. April 22, 2013. Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.